Thread: Linux Hardware Compatibility website!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Linux Hardware Compatibility website!

I am testing out my new Linux hardware compatibility website (yet to come up with a name - ideas welcome!) which can be found at

http://hardware.archux.com

But I want to know what you people want on there. At the moment, it has only very basic features like being able to put in lspci output, what works and what doesn't. I have only put my wireless card in there, so it is a bit empty. At the moment only wireless cards can be put in but I will try and make it so you can put any type of hardware in!

Feel free to test it out and report any problems or feature requests by replying to this post
    Current distro: Kubuntu 11.04 + KXStudio

Beans

Re: Linux Hardware Compatibility website!

Nice idea, if it somehow works. For me it seems that problems with hardware usually relate to bad drivers, which then means that all the hardware works if given enough expertise and careful love by an person who really knows what he/she is doing.

E.g. Puppy Linux works out with a NIC I have in desktop machine, but Ubuntu does not. What kind of proposition would that NIC deserve? Ubuntu users: "Does not work at all!!" and then Puppy users: "Works flawlessly!". In this case the actual distro is the problem, not the piece of hardware. Oh, the NIC works with Ubuntu after some CLI magic.

But yeah, as I said; nice idea, I love it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Umm you should make distro category for what works or not because some hardwares which work out of the box on ubuntu etc may not work with another distros.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by binbash View Post
    Umm you should make distro category for what works or not because some hardwares which work out of the box on ubuntu etc may not work with another distros.
    Also, if aiming for perfection, hardware should be divided to revisions. E.g. Rev. A2 might work flawlessly, but A1 doesn't.

Hell of a job to keep up with such a database.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

This loks like a HUGELY intensive undertaking. I love the idea but the research and the time spent to maintain the project through all distros would be more than a one person job.

If you did have the resourses and the time I would suggest that you set it up towork something like a choice based results.

(Distro) -> (Version) -> (Parts) -> (Part Type) -> (Manufacturer) -> (Model) -> (Revision) -> (Results)

(Distro) -> (Version) -> (Desktop) -> (Manufacturer) -> (Model) -> (Model Option) -> (Model Option) -> (Model Option) -> (Model Option) -> (Results)

(Distro) -> (Version) -> (Laptop) -> (Manufacturer) -> (Model) -> (Model Option) -> (Model Option) -> (Model Option) -> (Model Option) -> (Results)

Something like that would be VERY useful to people looking to either make new systems, or buy complete systems.

But like I said, VERY work and time consuming and if there is no monetary return, I would never be able to maintain the momentum myself.
    Sony Vaio VGN-N325E
    Intrepid Ibex 8.10

Beans
    Hidden!

there are several compatibility sites (with monster database). if your going to do this you need to find your own niche in the market...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Having something like winehq has would be suitable, as it gives you idea on what kernel, distro and drivers the peroson testing is using and how he got it to work.. and what is working and what isnt.

Now for one other thing, I would suggest wiki style thing so you will not have to register....