Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grub Error 15

Beans

Re: Grub Error 15

Quote Originally Posted by DMonkey08 View Post
    I've tried several times to install Ubuntu 8.10 on two different computers, but on each computer grub gives me "grub error 15" on boot (no menu or anything), and have had to re-install 8.04. Both computers are dual-booted with XP, and when I tried to upgrade 8.04, it gave me grub error 17.

8.10 looks really slick, and I would like to install. I'm confused as to why this problem would happen on two separate computers. Can anyone help ?
    Could be a microKernel that defeats uninstall, and corrupts installation. I've had two myself just this week.

GParted is a boot disk you can use, and sometimes a manual configuration of your partitions will help.

If that is the problem, try writing a new boot sector by relaying the drive structure, via "new partition table". Can be done with fdisk, parted, or in somedistros it's an option during partitioning.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dburnett77 View Post
    If that is the problem, try writing a new boot sector by relaying the drive structure, via "new partition table". Can be done with fdisk, parted, or in somedistros it's an option during partitioning.
    Unless you want to erase your existing partition table and start with a HDD that appears completely unformatted, DMonkey08, I would not recommend creating a new partition table with "new partition table." I've looked over your current partition table carefully, and I don't see anything wrong with it, but maybe dburnett77 sees something I'm not catching. Do you see something wrong with the partition table, dburnett77, or why are you recommending creating an entirely new one to erase the old one? Please explain your advice.
    Last edited by caljohnsmith; February 6th, 2009 at 06:51 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by caljohnsmith View Post
    DMonkey08, do you get any errors during the installation? Does the installer say it completes successfully, or what exactly happens? Are you changing any of the settings under the "Advanced" button near the end of the installation process? Are you only setting a mount point for root "/" and "swap" during the installation?
    Exactly what I do: I go into manual partition, and edit the ext3 partition, tell Ubuntu to use it as an ext3 partition, format it, and use it as root. Then I go on, no errors or anything. I don't recall clicking an "Advanced" button at any point. The last time I tried to install it, it hung up while configure apt (I think it was doing something with the mirrors), but the system was already install, and it's installed completely before with the same problem.

Edit: and BTW, it does not do anything to corrupt the hard drive, since after reinstalling 8.04 my Windows partition is just like I left it.
    Last edited by DMonkey08; February 6th, 2009 at 05:01 PM.

Beans

OK, problem solved. I have no idea why, but I tried reinstalling it and it just worked this time . Very odd, but whatever.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12