Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How can I install Ubuntu on XFS file system?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How can I install Ubuntu on XFS file system?

XFS is primarily a file system that was designed to handle best files that are mammoth in size. Things like huge chunks of video, TV recordings (ie Mythtv servers), specialized file servers.. Things of that nature. XFS was never designed for regular Desktop Linux uses, and thus, does not handle small files well at all (files less than 1GB in size, for example). This is exactly why everyone who has responded to this thread has recommended that you DO NOT do what you are attempting to do. ReiserFS, ext3 (on pre 2.6.28 kernels), and definitely ext4 on .28+ kernels. Btrfs also shows a lot of promise but that is still some ways away from being stable yet. JFS is also a very good file system, but it does not stack up well on cross comparison filesystem tests vs. ext3, and definitely ReiserFS, which is currently the king of Journaled file systems for smaller files, at least until Jaunty/F11 release cycles come around, at which time ext4 will become the new default filesystem. With all that said however, should you choose to still persist in installing Ubuntu on XFS, then you can try this. Do let us know how that works out for you.

Beans

You have persuaded me. I'm find a "great performer" file system... but "safe", and with mixed situations: very big files (iso DVD file, very large backup archive file of my system... etc) and little files (music, and general system files).
    I've noticed choppy performance of my system when I transfer very large or a lot of files and I'm found on the XFS performance my answer (before your warnings). I can't understand if is the result of an excessive usage of my cpu of the fakeraid driver or ext3 security features or is the maximum that I can get and I need a new disk

My source of XFS info is here.

ReiserFS seem to be better for small files, and last JFS i don't have info of security/performance...
    Ext3 seem to be the choice for now...
    You know tricks/tips for improve ext3 performance?

Anyway,
    today I've tried with success, on 500Gb hdd in a "test" partition, last Jaunty with Ext4 file system... and like it, seem to be a good and fast file system (1st look and I'm not a file system expert).

Thank you very much

p.s. This is my spec:
    Q6600@3.240GHz, P5Q Deluxe with last bios 1702, 4Gb DDR2, Zotac 8800 GT AMP!, 2xSeagate 160Gb, 1xSamsung 500Gb HD501JL.
    Last edited by psychok9; February 6th, 2009 at 12:31 AM.

Beans

Although late but here is my advice:

DO NOT mount / on any XFS partition. I did it and it wiped out my 250 GB hard disk with a seek error.

my 2 cents

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12