Thread: thunar and international characters

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

thunar and international characters

I installed xubuntu on my laptop, it has several sets of libraries from gnome and kde and I run Fluxbox as my window manager. I have three partitions: / /home and swap. All were created using the installation wizard.

Folders and files in my /home directory that should contain special characters such as umlauts, accents, and other international characters do not show correctly in Thunar. They show as a black diamond with a ? inside it. I know that Thunar can show these files correctly, as my desktop, also running Fluxbox with Thunar for the file manager, displays these characters correctly (even on ntfs mounted drives)

/etc/fstab for both of these computers does not specify a locale (utf-8 or similar) for any of the hard drives, so I do not believe that is the difference. I think it must be in something that I have installed on my desktop (which has complete ubuntu-desktop and kubuntu-desktop packages installed) that allows Thunar to correctly display the international characters and I am missing that package on my laptop.

In case it is fstab, here is the contents of my fstab file for my laptop:
    Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
    # /dev/sda2
    UUID=51afa182-aeb2-4514-992c-4cdca337e69e /               ext3    relatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1
    # /dev/sda3
    UUID=f4a06eb6-11e6-4499-9bcd-c362e53ea5cb /home           ext3    relatime        0       2
    # /dev/sda1
    UUID=8df24ccd-b037-435d-9734-76f54d243265 none            swap    sw              0       0
    /dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0
    I'm up for tweaking, I just don't know what to tweak. I think it's just a package I'm missing, but I've compared installed packages between my desktop and laptop using the same search patterns and haven't figured out what is missing.
    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe - Athlon64 3200+
    NVidia GeForce 6600GT 128MB - Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
    Western Digital Raptor 74GB - Western Digital 120GB SATA
    Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit (Fluxbox primarily)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: thunar and international characters

I hate to bump, but this is going to get totally ignored. Someone here has got to know the solution to this.
    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe - Athlon64 3200+
    NVidia GeForce 6600GT 128MB - Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
    Western Digital Raptor 74GB - Western Digital 120GB SATA
    Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit (Fluxbox primarily)

Beans

Re: thunar and international characters

I have got the same problem as this user.

I have a dual boot set up - windows xp / xubuntu. Both OSs access an external hd (NTFS) I have set up with a lot of mp3s. Many of these mp3s have accents in the titles. These files and folders remain invisible in Thunar and Exaile (my media player of choice)

So it's not just a matter of misprinted symbols for me- xubuntu cannot even display entire folders on my machine.