Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A relevation for the command-line?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: A relevation for the command-line?

Quote Originally Posted by AICollector View Post
    I will look into it. I just don't see what would be so 'bloated' about a system that listens for keywords (minus, of course, the list of other words for the same thing, not really bloat)

Any further refinement of this idea?
    My suggestion would be to look at how ubiquity works. It allows custom commands that are easily configured. I would stick with single syntax for commands. ie one spoken-word command per action just to keep things simple. Look to existing projects that mimic this functionality and I would love to hear if you do anything with this. My email and twitter account are listed in my signature and I would be very interested in hearing if you do anything with this.
    Guides: Medibuntu. Dell laptop fans.
    Running 8.10 on Dell Vostro 1500 with Openbox. Using WINE for gaming.
    Follow me on twitter.
    Email me.

Beans
    Hidden!

This would be pretty cool...

But really, I'd settle for a decent video editing program and a decent DVD maker ( even though DVD is almost dead now ) that just work...

Yeah, I don't see that happening either... at least not anytime soon.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AICollector View Post
    Come on, people, a modern computer can run about 2000 indepedant ALICE bots, (this laptop, for instance, is able to run 1707) and for some odd reason, your telling me thats impossible?
    Not impossible, just impractical. I'm not saying don't do it, even if it doesn't work right the way you describe you may develop something useful. Even if you don't you would have learned quite a bit about developing language recognition software. Also, you may surprise us (and the world) by actually developing a natural language recognition system which would be awesome, especially if it was open source! (c:
    Do not be afraid to joust a giant just because some people insist on believing in windmills.
    Free Moonbase Commander remake @ http://code.google.com/p/tether

Beans

I accidentally read this post and i understand how difficult is the command line for new linux users, especially for the ex-windows users.

Because i had/have the same problem, i recently build an application for the terminal/console that will narrow the gap between the command line and the GUI.

It is actually a text mode application that uses a menu driven system to execute simple linux commands. Most of the commands that are built in, are used for solving linux problems (mounting drive, internet connection etc.). There are also some guides/tutorials that explain how the user complete some tasks. Take a look at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/concom/

I know that is not what you are looking for, but it may help

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm not a fan of thinking computers. I saw too many of them on Star Trek go crazy and start taking over. Also, does please need to be added? Also, what about slag? How does one update it? What if it changes with time? Also, language changes quickly in some place, but not in others. Some places will have one type of slang, another won't. Also, if you make the parameters too "loos" to understand what you mean, this will cause inaccuracies.
    Last edited by lukjad; March 9th, 2009 at 06:26 PM.
    Another round of Ubuntu for my friends here!
    Fighting to bring Pink back to The Pink Ponies archive.
    DELETE INSANITY!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12