Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ATI Radeon HD 3670 and Ubuntu

Re: ATI Radeon HD 3670 and Ubuntu

According to this http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...1&lang=English

Catalyst beyond 9.3 will not support the 1250. So it kind of looks to me like I'd either need to run 9.3 on my own or accept the open source driver if I were to upgrade to 9.04.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by krippa View Post
    How do you install different versions of this driver?

I have just installed Jaunty on my brand new Dell Studio XPS 16 with an ATI Radeon HD 3670 graphics card and am experiencing some problems with the proprietary driver which I have described in the following bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/363533

In short the proprietary driver which I need for 3D support makes most graphics operations unstable when used with an external screen and resume from sleep also does not work.
    krippa, did you get suspend to disk working. I can not suspend or hibernate. The machine goes to sleep just fine, but can't resume; when I try to restart I get a cursor on a black screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by shrndegruv View Post
    krippa, did you get suspend to disk working. I can not suspend or hibernate. The machine goes to sleep just fine, but can't resume; when I try to restart I get a cursor on a black screen.
    Nope, same behavior with hibernate, I can only see the unlock-screen as an out of focus gray square and the computer does not respond to anything. Everything up until that seems to be going fine, e.g. going to sleep etc... Disabling the driver solves the problem but I want the 3D. I guess my best bet is to wait for release 9.5 of the driver.

By the way, is there a way to check which version is installed? Will the 9.5 automatically be downloaded and added as an option when it is available or will I have to download it manually?

Beans

Red face Re: ATI Radeon HD 3670 and Ubuntu

I have an ATI mobility Radeon 3400 in Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04 and I have noticed that enabling the ATI driver degrades performance on the following cases:

1-> When restoring a minimized window.
    2-> When switching video to full screen.

Without the ATI driver restoring a window takes less than a second. Switching to full screen video is also very fast.

But with the ATI hardware driver it can take 2-3 seconds to restore a minimised window and 4-5 seconds to switch to full screen video using VLC.

I also have compiz enabled. Does anybody know how to fix this issue?
    thanks in advance!

Beans

No suspend here either... I also have a dell studio xps 16, with ATI Radeon HD 3670 and with the catalyst 9.4 drivers installed on intrepid. Before I installed the drivers, suspend worked (except for the touchpad). With the drivers and compiz, I get a black screen when resuming. Ctrl+Alt+Backspace has no effect (I have it enabled). Trying to switch to Ctrl+Alt+F1 (or any other) doesn't work either.

Beans

Krippa, I don't know how to check which version is installed. I would also like to know that.

To install a new version, I guess you have to do it manually. I did it, according to the how to, for upgrading from 9.3 to 9.4 and it worked perfectly without having uninstalled the previous version.

INTEPEGASUS, I don't have anything like that here. I am using catalyst 9.4 in intrepid, with compiz, and I am glad, apart from the suspend and some video issues. The video issues are solved if I fall back to metacity.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by INTERPEGASUS View Post
    I have an ATI mobility Radeon 3400 in Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04 and I have noticed that enabling the ATI driver degrades performance on the following cases:

1-> When restoring a minimized window.
    2-> When switching video to full screen.

Without the ATI driver restoring a window takes less than a second. Switching to full screen video is also very fast.

But with the ATI hardware driver it can take 2-3 seconds to restore a minimised window and 4-5 seconds to switch to full screen video using VLC.

I also have compiz enabled. Does anybody know how to fix this issue?
    thanks in advance!
    I also have this issue. I read on another thread that it is caused by old configs in your home directory. try creating a new user and see if the problem persists.

I tried to use the open source drivers and noticed that my graphics card was generating a ton of heat ~60C. I guess there are no good options for us xps studio 16 owners yet...

Beans

Hello mates!
    I'm planning to get a new laptop with a HD3670 and run ubuntu but I'm kinda worried seeing all these posts. Question: How are things back on 8.10 with this card? I'm was running 8.10 with a X1600 and it runs great, "upgraded" to 9.04 and some of my opengl apps stopped working. I'm sure I can stick with 8.04 for awhile

Thanks!

Alvin

Beans

Thanks for the replies!

Compiz is causing the issue. Metacity improves the performance a lot. However compiz is one of the reasons I switched to Linux.

Is it possible to fix the slow performance in compiz? I remember it was working fine with an older version.

Maybe compiz 0.7? will work better...

Beans

No suspend here either... I also have a dell studio xps 16, with ATI Radeon HD 3670 and with the catalyst 9.4 drivers installed on intrepid. Before I installed the drivers, suspend worked (except for the touchpad). With the drivers and compiz, I get a black screen when resuming. Ctrl+Alt+Backspace has no effect (I have it enabled). Trying to switch to Ctrl+Alt+F1 (or any other) doesn't work either.
    Sorry, I just noticed it might not be obvious: the Ctrl+Alt+F1 and Ctrl+Alt+Backspace don't work only when in the black screen I get after suspending. Otherwise they work fine.

gallenwolf, I havent tried 9.04, but I am using 8.10 and I am glad with it. The only trouble I have is this suspend thing and I don't know if that is due to the ati drivers or to something compiz related. I didn't try dual monitor either and, from what I hear, that might be an issue.

cheers

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast