Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ATI Radeon HD 3670 and Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: ATI Radeon HD 3670 and Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gumbeto View Post
    I didn't try dual monitor either and, from what I hear, that might be an issue.
    Also running 9.04 on an XPS Studio 16, I have played a bit with dual monitor (only as a clone to a projector) but I have had no problems with it. I am of course unable to resume from suspend or hibernate. As with the rest I get either black screen or a cursor, and sometimes an inactive password prompt. I'd love to hear anyones suggestions.

Beans
    Hidden!

I also have this problem with a studio xps 16.

I broke down and removed the proprietary ATI driver, and suspend/resume works for me now.

Right now the ability to suspend/hibernate trumps the visual affects.

Hopefully Bug 363533 will get a fix someday...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by superbondbond View Post
    I also have this problem with a studio xps 16.

I broke down and removed the proprietary ATI driver, and suspend/resume works for me now.

Right now the ability to suspend/hibernate trumps the visual affects.

Hopefully Bug 363533 will get a fix someday...
    can you handle the heat? I found it to be unbearable...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Me too, for me 3D support is very important and so is sleep... For now I am forced to live without sleep.

Out of curiosity, are you running on 64-bit ubuntu like I am?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by shrndegruv View Post
    can you handle the heat? I found it to be unbearable...
    I usually sit at a table, or if I'm using my lap, I put the computer on a large hardcover book.
    I do agree though, you could cook an egg on that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by krippa View Post
    ...are you running on 64-bit ubuntu....
    Yes

Beans

Overheating is because opensource drivers lacks PowerPlay support (to reduce clock and core voltage when maximum performance are not needed).

Have you tried to manual downclock the GPU with ATIpower?

I want to buy a Studio XPS 16 but I will not until ATI doesn't solve standby issues or OS drivers don't implement a downclocking feature.

Beans
    Distro

I am having no problems with neither heat nor fan noise running ATIs proprietary driver. Still though, sleep does not work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

For the record, the suspend problems are NOT fixed with the latest ATI drivers (9.5). Still resumes from suspend to a blank screen.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Chancey View Post
    For the record, the suspend problems are NOT fixed with the latest ATI drivers (9.5). Still resumes from suspend to a blank screen.
    do the 9.5 drivers fix the jaunty issues people had been having around performance?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by shrndegruv View Post
    do the 9.5 drivers fix the jaunty issues people had been having around performance?
    I have now installed the 9.5 driver and gained some (for me at least) new insights.

The short answer is no, the performance issues I was experiencing have not been affected. These issues are however modest. What I notice is that it takes around a second for window actions such as maximize, unmaximize (minimize is instantaneous). This is a little annoying but not really a big issue for me.

Further more it seems that these issues are related to compiz rather than ubuntu/xorg itself. This at least the case with the 9.5 driver.

This is also true for suspend, which works great if I use metacity as window manager.

As for multiple screens the behavior has changed and I would call it an improvement. This is what I experienced regarding this:

- The keyboard button for switching between modes seems to work (even in Compiz!!) now which is great for having presentations etc.
    - The Display application under preferences now seems to work consistently across compiz/metacity. However many things have broken it seems and I am not able to use it to do advanced multi-screen settings.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast