View Poll Results: AcerHK GUI

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't use the acerhk driver with my computer.

2 16.67%
  • Tried it, but it fails to run. I will post feedback.

5 41.67%
  • Tried it and it works, but I have some suggestions.

2 16.67%
  • Tried it, it works great and was just what I was looking for!

3 25.00%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: AcerHK GUI -- GUI for users of the 'acerhk' driver to control wireless/bluetooth

Beans

Re: AcerHK GUI -- GUI for users of the 'acerhk' driver to control wireless/bluetooth

v0.7.2

Wow, I spent all evening trying to install the acerhk driver in order to get wireless to switch on on my friend's Medion MD96500 laptop, and when I finally came across the acerhk gui it really did the trick. I love how it downloads builds and installs the driver for me, it just works!

Thanks for your hard work!

Beans

Talking Re: AcerHK GUI -- GUI for users of the 'acerhk' driver to control wireless/bluetooth

Just downloaded & installed v 0.7.2 & works great! Thanks for the hard work. Greatly appreciated!

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 on a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Li1718

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: AcerHK GUI -- GUI for users of the 'acerhk' driver to control wireless/bluetooth

Thank you very much for the feedback.

Are you using Ubuntu 10.10? I have not tried 10.10 yet to verify if the software still functions as intended and which I know works under 10.04.

v/r
    ARM-C

Beans
    Distro

All,

I have begun a large rewrite of the application. I do not want to loose any functionality in the process; however, there will certainly be some issues that come up. I am also looking at soliciting feedback on the changes I am making.

In short, the objective of this release is to shift the application to an AppIndicator Icon and incorporate Notify-OSD (ubuntu).

I want to do the main posts/feedback on this on my Sourceforge page in the forums. Please go there for link. Post all feedback for the Alpha there, as I want to keep this forum for actual releases.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/acer.../forum/1329399

Beans
    Distro

Re: AcerHK GUI -- GUI Application Indicator Support

All,

I am currently writing the next version to provide for App Indicator support directly from the system tray. HOWEVER, I have a second project that gives basic functionality for AcerHK users (On/Off for Wifi/Bluetooth). The project is really to consolidate (multiplex) Display settings/links into one Indicator Icon menu [hence Displex]; however, I did add an AcerHK GUI control menu that will show if you have acerhk.ko installed in your system. If not, you won't see it.

https://sourceforge.net/p/displex

If you think you do, but it isn't showing, do install latest version of AcerHK GUI. That could fix the issue for you.

Regards,
    Arick

MountainX is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

arm-c, thank you for your work on AcerHK GUI. I have been looking for a solution to turn on my bluetooth on my Acer AO532h. I'm going to download your deb now. Thanks!
    Desktop: KX Studio (Kubuntu 12.04)
    Laptop & Netbook: Kubuntu 12.04
    Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Phone: Nexus 4 Cyanogenmod

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I installed acerhkgui on two Acer netbooks: AO532h and AO D255E. It installed successfully on both. No problem. But it does not activate bluetooth on either one. I don't see any error message, but the end result is that bluetooth doesn't turn on. Here's the output:

Code:
    # acerhkgui

-=**  The Acer Hot Key GUI   **=-
          *  Command Line Feedback  *
    ------**************************------------------
    You can get the latest version at sourceforge.net
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/acerhkgui
    --------------*-*-*-*-*-*-------------------------

Config file exists already. Loading saved preferences...
    Configuration Loaded...
    AcerHK driver found at: /proc/driver/acerhk

Acer hotkeys version 0.5.35
    Model(Type)	: (old)
    request handler	: 0xc00fede0
    CMOS index	: 0x10
    events pending	: 0
    kernel polling	: active
    autoswitch wlan	: disabled
    preg400		: 0x(null)

Send -- Bluetooth :: on
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for using AcerHK GUI (acerhkgui).  I hope it was helpful!
    ====================================================
    What are the next steps?

Beans
    Distro

Hey,

Couple of questions after I let you know I don't have my Acer with me (finally died). There are differences between systems and depending on the year of your machine, AcerHK may not be the driver for your hardware. With that said, please the following from the command line and give me the output:

hcitool dev

and

lsusb

On the positive, it does look like the driver loads successfully so your hardware is compatable in some ways (wifi probably).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by arm-c View Post
    Hey,

Couple of questions after I let you know I don't have my Acer with me (finally died). There are differences between systems and depending on the year of your machine, AcerHK may not be the driver for your hardware. With that said, please the following from the command line and give me the output:

hcitool dev

and

lsusb

On the positive, it does look like the driver loads successfully so your hardware is compatable in some ways (wifi probably).
    Sorry to hear your Acer died. This output is from my Acer AO D255E. I appreciate any further suggestions.

hcitool dev is empty:
    Code:
    Devices:
    lsusb:
    Code:
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0930:6545 Toshiba Corp. Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 Stick (4GB) / PNY Attache 4GB Stick
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0402:9665 ALi Corp. 
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    lspci:
    Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation N10 Family DMI Bridge
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation NM10 Family LPC Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 02)
    01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications AR8152 v1.1 Fast Ethernet (rev c1)
    02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation WiFi Link 1000 Series

Beans
    Distro

Does running

lshw

yield any listing for your bluetooth hardware? I hate to ask the question, as it seams you are quite knowledgeable about the commands, but is there bluetooth hardware in the device? I have seen several computers that have "bluetooth" indicator on it, but the hardware is not installed.

There is a new replacement for the acerhk driver, but I think it only addresses the wifi issue. I guess searches for your device and ubuntu and or linux have turned up nothing of value?

If you can find out what hardware you have through in make/model of card, search for that and linux to see if there are other users out there that have gotten it working and how. Usually, the same hardware is used by several manufacturers in different computers.

If you find the hardware make/model, let me know. I will try to do a search for it also.

I hope you can figure it out. I have a CAC Card reader built in to my acer that never worked... ended up just getting an external. Perhaps you may need to spend $12 - $20 to get a bluetooth dongle... (recommend the Belkin brand as they work good for me... worth the couple extra bucks.)

cheers,
    A
    Last edited by arm-c; February 25th, 2011 at 07:18 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast