View Poll Results: AcerHK GUI

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't use the acerhk driver with my computer.

2 16.67%
  • Tried it, but it fails to run. I will post feedback.

5 41.67%
  • Tried it and it works, but I have some suggestions.

2 16.67%
  • Tried it, it works great and was just what I was looking for!

3 25.00%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AcerHK GUI -- GUI for users of the 'acerhk' driver to control wireless/bluetooth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: AcerHK GUI -- GUI for users of the 'acerhk' driver to control wireless/bluetooth

Quote Originally Posted by Daverobb View Post
    Thanks for the program but i need some further help.

managed to get the gui installed and it looks like it says it should in this thread. when i finally got it to recognize the acerhk.ko file the card started to recognize wireless signals but had trouble connecting to a signal. then it stopped working -- led stopped - no wireless signals evident, etc -- don't know what changed or happened but the gui doesn't seem to make any difference to the wireless button anymore.

do you have any suggestions?
    A few things will happen with this program and Ubuntu since ubuntu dropped the acerhk.ko driver from the kernel updates. That makes it a little bit of a hassle every time the kernel gets updated.

Are you being asked to install the driver again?

What version of Ubuntu are you running?

Some computers have a hardware switch that will physically turn on and off the wifi. Perhaps you did that? The program won't work if the hardware is physically turned off. (for me, I don't have that ability, it is software controled for my bluetooth).

When you click the preferences tab, what does it tell you in the driver information tab?

Do you get any messages that ti can't find the driver on starting the program?

Will do what I can to help you out with this.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: AcerHK GUI -- GUI for users of the 'acerhk' driver to control wireless/bluetooth

It was a bear to even get acerhk to compile in Lucid.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...hk/+bug/456123

and then the GUI wants python 2.5 and I am not sure how to go about seeing how to fix that.

Would be cool though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well, I fugure AcerHK might be difficult to compile..... however, the GUI on the otherhand should run just fine with Python 2.4 - 2.6 If you were not successful in installing the GUI, you can install it from the command line with the force option.

it may choke with Python 3.X, as the print command changed syntax.

a. Download the .deb
    b. from the folder where the .deb is, run

sudo apt-get install --ignore-missing acerhkgui_0.7_i386.deb

You may need to update the name of the package you are using.

If that doesn't work, try the force option or the -m option (read man apt-get)

Hope that helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Version 0.7.1 is BETA. Main change is to "attempt" to automate installation of the acerhk.ko file. This beta requires build-essentiala and headers. It is hopefully smart enough to download source, install required dependencies, compile driver and install it. This should now work for both 32 and 64-bit systems. If you download the beta files posted at the following link, please provide feedback.

Debian Package: AcerHK GUI 0.7.1 (beta)

RPM Package: AcerHK GUI 0.7.1 (beta)

-----------------------------------------
    Additional Notes:

> Tried to make it architecture independent. (all)
    > Now downloads and installs from source. Dialogs in Beta not updated to reflect that it should work on a IA64 system.
    > Made dependency Python as opposed to "python2.5", so should hopefully help some of the issues.

I really need feedback on this to see if the new code is working correctly.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by maestrobwh1 View Post
    It was a bear to even get acerhk to compile in Lucid.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...hk/+bug/456123

and then the GUI wants python 2.5 and I am not sure how to go about seeing how to fix that.

Would be cool though.

I'm having the same problem. I'm running Lucid too. The .deb for 0.7 won't install because I don't have python 2.5. I tried
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install  -m acerhkgui_0.7
    and
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install  --ignore-missing acerhkgui_0.7
    but it says
    Code:
    E: Couldn't find package acerhkgui_0.7_i386.deb
    I also tried the 7.1 beta because I saw you changed dependency to be "python" rather than "python 2.5". I was able to install the .deb without problems but when I try to run it I get into trouble: "AcerHK Module found at expected location" and then "acerhk module failed to load!".

I tried adding acerhk to /etc/modules, then running sudo depmod -a, but I still get the same messages. I know this computer is compatible because I was using AcerHK GUI on the same laptop with an earlier version of Ubuntu. It's really good when it works

If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I sent you an email. Hopefully we can work this out and get it working. I look forward to your reply.

A

Quote Originally Posted by mugwash View Post
    I'm having the same problem. I'm running Lucid too. The .deb for 0.7 won't install because I don't have python 2.5. I tried
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install  -m acerhkgui_0.7
    and
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install  --ignore-missing acerhkgui_0.7
    but it says
    Code:
    E: Couldn't find package acerhkgui_0.7_i386.deb
    I also tried the 7.1 beta because I saw you changed dependency to be "python" rather than "python 2.5". I was able to install the .deb without problems but when I try to run it I get into trouble: "AcerHK Module found at expected location" and then "acerhk module failed to load!".

I tried adding acerhk to /etc/modules, then running sudo depmod -a, but I still get the same messages. I know this computer is compatible because I was using AcerHK GUI on the same laptop with an earlier version of Ubuntu. It's really good when it works

If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

New Release -- v. 0.7.2
    Version 0.7.2 is BETA. OK. If you are an ACERHK user, this package is a huge step forward. The package SHOULD build the driver from source now _successfully_. The source code is included in the /usr/share/acerhkgui for the acerhk driver. PLEASE provide feedback... especially if it works for you. I have tried to test it as best as possible, to include removing the compiled driver and re-running, installing in various kernels that have been pushed, etc...

IF IT FAILS TO COMPILE,
    a. run 'acerhkgui' from a command prompt and see if that works. It will have much more messages.
    or
    b. run 'sudo /usr/share/acerhkgui/acerhk_install_acerhkgui.sh' from the command prompt.

Debian Package: AcerHK GUI 0.7.2 (beta)

RPM Package: Not released. Use Alien to create from deb. (what I do).

Note: The acerhk that can be compiled is located there if you just want that. There is also a script to install the source in Ubuntu 10.04.

SourceForge Project Page
    Last edited by arm-c; August 22nd, 2010 at 12:16 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Talking Re: AcerHK GUI -- GUI for users of the 'acerhk' driver to control wireless/bluetooth

Hi, Just posted a thumbs up at your Sourceforge page as I said in my review smooth as butter no issues at all built the driver with no errors and loaded th drivers and added to modules file again with no problems and my wireless is green.One Happy Camper.

I would also like to say that I originally used AcerHK Gui to get up and running with 9.10 karmic which is when I said good by to windows if AcerHK had not worked I may not have stayed with Ubuntu and thats not because I have no patience "Time is Money" ever heard that one before. So if it takes to long to get something working you have to know when to cut your loses and stop wasting time.

From one Happy Ubunter Thank you very much. =D>
    Ubuntu user number # 29587

I'm Jet Black, 36 years old. I'm often told I don't look 36, but you shouldn't judge people based on appearances... or on how much hair they have.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Cowboy,

Thanks much for the great feedback. Since my project is completely made without any expectation of financial gain, the only reward I get is knowing that other users find my project useful and helpful. I know there must be some users that use it that never reply. Most of the feedback received is when a person has problems with their system, so it is feedback like yours that make my efforts worth while. Thanks so much for the feedback.

I don't have too much time to work on the project, so progress is slow. The main updates have been driven by things such as the acerhk driver no longer being included in Ubuntu, however, I am still working on the project as time permits.

Thanks much!
    ARM-C

Beans

I'm using xubuntu 10.10 but when i'm trying to install acerHK GUI, it sais acerHK is not insallled. Although when i check at the ubuntu software center, it sais it is installed..
    My laptop is a Medion MD97600.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast