Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think of non-gamers?

Beans
    Hidden!

What do you think of non-gamers?

I just got out of computer games thoroughly a few years back, reasons:
    1)These are all virtual statistics that aren't going to be useful in real life.
    2)Virtual killings (Focus on a clean mind; afflicting pain on any creatures is cruelty.)
    3)Time can be spent in much more constructive manners.
    4)Totally formulaic (you are bound to get bored sooner or later.)
    5)Addiction (I was addicted a few years back; than I shifted my time to something like forums; than to Linux experiment.)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: What do you think of non-gamers?

Meh, I really don't game. I don't see a need for spending hours playing a mind numbing game, when I could be doing something more useful. For Example, helping others on the forum, learning more about Linux, and computers in general.

I get bored really easily with games, and end up deleting them, so no reason to pay for something I won't use in a week.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by OpenSourceRules View Post
    I just got out of computer games thoroughly a few years back, reasons:
    1)These are all virtual statistics that aren't going to be useful in real life.
    2)Virtual killings (Focus on a clean mind; afflicting pain on any creatures is cruelty.)
    3)Time can be spent in much more constructive manners.
    4)Totally formulaic (you are bound to get bored sooner or later.)
    5)Addiction (I was addicted a few years back; than I shifted my time to something like forums; than to Linux experiment.)
    +1 except I was never really addicted because I've never really been in to gaming. There's just so much more that can be done that I just don't have the time to waste on playing pointless games. Save the money buy a surfboard

Beans

1) Well, duh! Video games are just made to pass time, stats are only important in video games because of the male instinct to dominate. Hence why female gamers are so few and thin.
    2) It's just a video game, several studies have disproved the theory that "video games train killers". On top of that, not all video games are about blood and gore. Nintendo makes excellent non-violent video games.
    3) The same could be argued about being on these very forums...
    4) And once you do, move on to the next video game.
    5) If you don't want to play the video games, you don't have to. No one is forcing you.

Fascism is not my thing at all, do want you want to do with your life. I have no right to tell you how to live yours, and you have no right to tell me how to live mine.

Note: This constructive and friendly post came from a Halo3 and Turok player.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I've always been into gaming, but not hugely. You know, I'm not addicted but I can still play Gears 2 for 4 hours without noticing, I am very competitive and if I don't get 1 or more kills in a game I keep on playing, it's instinct as Grant A. put it.
    I always put gaming on the bottom of my list when I have nothing to do, and even if it is virtual it is still very fun to play.

Blog | I'm available for programming contributions. C & Python.
    Intel Core i7 920 | EVGA x58 SLI | NVidia GeForce 8600 GT | WD 500GB HDD | Corsair XMS3 3GB | Ubuntu 9.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Grant A. View Post
    1) Well, duh! Video games are just made to pass time, stats are only important in video games because of the male instinct to dominate. Hence why female gamers are so few and thin.
    2) It's just a video game, several studies have disproved the theory that "video games train killers". On top of that, not all video games are about blood and gore. Nintendo makes excellent non-violent video games.
    No, but the vast majority of popular games focus on violence and thus expose many of the youth to the "fun and games" it is to blast someone's head off
    3) The same could be argued about being on these very forums...
    4) And once you do, move on to the next video game.
    5) If you don't want to play the video games, you don't have to. No one is forcing you.

Fascism is not my thing at all, do want you want to do with your life. I have no right to tell you how to live yours, and you have no right to tell me how to live mine.

Note: This constructive and friendly post came from a Halo3 and Turok player.
    I don't know where you are getting fascism out of this but nobody has insinuated any intentions of forcing you to stop gaming.

Otherwise there's another point regarding gaming (not applicable to a majority) but check out the new obesity statistics for USA, quite interesting indeed...

Beans

Post Re: What do you think of non-gamers?

Quote Originally Posted by C!oud View Post
    No, but the vast majority of popular games focus on violence and thus expose many of the youth to the "fun and games" it is to blast someone's head off
    Um... those games that make it fun to "blast someone's head off" are not recommend, nor legally allowed to be sold to children... M is for "Mature", and stores are not allowed to sell M games to anyone under 18.

I don't know where you are getting fascism out of this but nobody has insinuated any intentions of forcing you to stop gaming.
    I just felt my post was a bit pushy, so I tried to clarify that I wasn't trying to "convert" him.

Otherwise there's another point regarding gaming (not applicable to a majority) but check out the new obesity statistics for USA, quite interesting indeed...
    What are you suggesting? I have a BMI of around 22 and I play video games all the time.

Beans

It depends on what you define as "gaming". I play chess fairly seriously (although go is consuming more of my time lately - I like the strategy!)

I find that I think more clearly after a game of chess or go.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Grant A. View Post
    Um... those games that make it fun to "blast someone's head off" are not recommend, nor legally allowed to be sold to children... M is for "Mature", and stores are not allowed to sell M games to anyone under 18.
    Even T rated games glorify the act of killing another human being for entertainment

What are you suggesting? I have a BMI of around 22 and I play video games all the time.
    The amount of video games played by kids and the lack of exercise that accompanies hours of sitting on a couch has a direct correlation in the obsesity of children. However I also stated that this is not applicable for everybody since there are people that can be very active and still partake in the occasional gaming. The fact of the matter is obsesity among children and just the general American Society is at an alarming level and is ever growing faster due to a combination of factors.

Beans

i thiink tv is more sole destroying than computer games , you have no controll!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast