Thank you to everyone for your help. I tried the methods listed above but to no avail. So I reverted to the initial conf (listed above) and I had everything working BUT the res. Then I had this idea:
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
I don't know why I didn't think of this before. Again Thank you all for your help
server glx vendor string: SGI
client glx vendor string: SGI
OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc.
direct rendering: Yes
Now my system impresses the windows crowd who thought it was "minimalist"