Thread: Dual-boot: Windows doesnt boot properly.

Beans

Dual-boot: Windows doesnt boot properly. (SOLVED)

Hi guys,

I have a small partition on my hard drive that I recently installed XP to. It all worked and I logged in etc etc. I wanted to configure the drivers so I shut the pc down and booted into Ubuntu to download the stuff I needed.

Now whenever I try to start Windows I get the 'starting' screen (with the logo and the loading bar) but then just a black screen, nothing.

I think the problem is most likely with XP itself, seeing as grub recognizes everything and XP tries to start.

Any help much appreciated,
    Jack
    Last edited by ShakeyJake; February 5th, 2009 at 06:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Re: Dual-boot: Windows doesnt boot properly.

Could be that XP has a problem with a system file. You could try to repair Windows from the recovery console.
    You need to boot from the Windows CD & select to enter the recovery console, select your windows install & type
    Code:
    chkdsk -r
    at the command prompt. Not tried this on a dual boot, so it may knacker Grub, not sure on that though. If it does it is easy eanough to re-instate Grub:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubunt...-wipes-it-out/
    Registered Linux user #475388
    Using Various flavours of Linux: Ubuntu 10.04, Linux Mint 6, Mandriva, OpenSuse.

Beans

Re: Dual-boot: Windows doesnt boot properly.

Ah-ha, perfect.

Thaanks kestrel, I have no idea how to use a Windows console.

Now, if only I could get sound working, but that's a different thread. . . . . .