Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What language for Ubuntu devel?

Beans

What language for Ubuntu devel?

I'm learning a language, i like python and pygtk. Is it the best language to learn for ubuntu devel? For make ubuntu's appz? Or ubuntu's scripts?
    Windows was created to keep away stupid people from UNIX
    Moderator forum.ubuntu-it.org

Beans

Re: What language for Ubuntu devel?

In a nutshell, I'd say Python+GTK is the preferred language for Ubuntu desktop applications. You may wish to try Pygame for games programming though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poster_nutbag
    In a nutshell, I'd say Python+GTK is the preferred language for Ubuntu desktop applications. You may wish to try Pygame for games programming though.
    pygtk is an awesome development platform.
    Cheerful Ghost - build your game list, write about awesome games and share that with the world. join us!

Beans

I agree. Start off with Python. After a while, (ca 5-10 minutes), Python may start to annoy the hell out of you. In that case you can move on to Ruby. It won't annoy you.

Beans

Ruby annoyed me after a few minutes. Python still sticks to me.

wtd is offline Just Give Me the Beans!
    Beans

As much as I hate Microsoft, I have to say that Mono and GTK# is pretty spiffy.

Code:
    using System;
    using Gtk;

public class HelloWorld
    {
       public class MyWindow : Window
       {
          public MyWindow() : base("Hello...")
          {
             Add(new Label("World!"));
             ShowAll();
          }

protected override bool OnDeleteEvent(Gdk.Event e)
          {
             Application.Quit();
             return true;
          }
       }

public static void Main()
       {
          Application.Init();
          MyWindow win = new MyWindow();
          Application.Run();
       }
    }

Beans

What's wrong with good old C++? It's portable, it's an open standard and it suites you from writing small applications right up to large scale ones. The compilers are free and the supporting apps (debugger, profiler, lint, etc) have been developed for years.

If you're after portable GUI apps, C++ with a framework like wxWidgets (unstable has good GNOME integration) is pretty much unstoppable. Surprised no one has mentioned this option yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I second that vote for C#

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Viro
    What's wrong with good old C++? It's portable, it's an open standard and it suites you from writing small applications right up to large scale ones.
    Nothing is wrong with C++, it's just that other things are *better*. Lets face it, it doesn't really matter wether you write a gtk+ application in C++ or Python, as 99% of the code loop will be inside the gtk libs. So you may as well use the easier language.

If you *are* concerned about real-time performance, then one could well say why use gtk anyway, since the overhead for this is obviously out of your control: if you have some specific need for speedy code in one particular area, use your own C lib.

I used C/C++ for 15 years as my main language of choice: back when I started, it was the only choice, apart from machine code (you could say I upgraded from Zilog Z80) - and I loved it. Nowadays, I prefer to get the task done quickly, and not spend so much time in the debugger. Pretty much every script language (except shell scripts) lets me do just that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

If you're after portable GUI apps, C++ with a framework like wxWidgets (unstable has good GNOME integration) is pretty much unstoppable. Surprised no one has mentioned this option yet.
    Sure, but wxPython is another, equally, valid option. You don't have to use C++ for wxWidgets.
    dataw0lf
    -
    About Me
    Joshua "stderr / dataw0lf" Simpson, CCIE R&S and Security, RHCE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast