Thread: Wlan Card issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wlan Card issues

Hi,
    I seem to be having an interesting problem. I recently bought a laptop (HP dv5-1004nr, Windows Vista 64bit, Atheros wlan card 5007). I did a clean install of Ubuntu 8.10 64bit and used the How to from <http://madberry.org/2008/11/how-to-get-atheros-ar242x-to-work-on-810-intrepid-ibex/#comment-796> to get the wlan working. The wlan works fine (basically detecting the wireless network allowing me to connect to the internet at the right speeds), until it stops working unexpectedly (I don’t reboot my machine or anything). The wlan won’t even work in Windows at this point (basically, the card can’t find any wireless networks, even when they are working on my other [Apple] laptop). My first guess was that Windows disables (un-installs) the wlan card (or maybe it might even be Ubuntu). I run the Windows recovery CD and everything starts working fine at that point (basically, the wireless card can detect all available wireless networks and I can now connect to the internet again).

Anyone knows / has similar experience? I was wondering if someone can shed any light on the above issue. I don’t want to be running the Vista recovery CD every day or two.

Thanks,
    Dhaval
    Last edited by dhavalbbhatt; February 3rd, 2009 at 07:34 AM. Reason: making the post more accurate

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Wlan Card issues

When the wireless card stops working, run this command and post the results back here on the forums:
    Code:
    iwconfig

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Wlan Card issues

Quote Originally Posted by Codename View Post
    When the wireless card stops working, run this command and post the results back here on the forums:
    Code:
    iwconfig
    Basically, the iwconfig result is the same as when my wireless card detects the wireless networks, except that the ESSID won't be detected (which is obvious since I can't see networks). I have tried to simulate the iwconfig output below =

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:""
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point:
    Bit Rate=54 Mb/s Tx-Power=27 dBm
    Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2352 B
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality= Signal level:- Noise level=-
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

The above essentially tells me that the wlan card is being detected by the kernel, but somehow, I can't turn it on (or enable it) to detect any wireless networks.
    Last edited by dhavalbbhatt; February 3rd, 2009 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Added more information