Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a difference between shutting down via command line vs GUI button?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Is there a difference between shutting down via command line vs GUI button?

Is there a difference between shutting down via the GUI (top-right shutdown button) vs. command line 'shutdown -h now' ?
    I am just curious if shutting down in terminal might be a different sort of (more abrupt) shutdown or is it all the same?
    TiA,
    -BassKozz
    Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit - IP35-Pro | Q6600@3.3ghz(TRUE [lapped]) | G.Skill 2x2GB | MSI NX8600GT | 150GB WD Raptor ||| NAS - Ubuntu 10.04 - Intel D865GBF | P4 3.0GHz | G.Skill 4x1GB | FX5200-AGP | 3x250GB mdadm Raid5

Beans

Re: Is there a difference between shutting down via command line vs GUI button?

Quote Originally Posted by BassKozz View Post
    Is there a difference between shutting down via the GUI (top-right shutdown button) vs. command line 'shutdown -h now' ?
    I am just curious if shutting down in terminal might be a different sort of (more abrupt) shutdown or is it all the same?
    TiA,
    -BassKozz
    should all be the same
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Honestly, I don't think so.

Beans
    Hidden!

I am not aware of any difference. I believe it is just a GUI vs non-GUI method.

Beans

There must be a difference, because the GUI shutdown hangs for me, but the command line method works. For you guys who said it was the same, here's the thread about my problem:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1058234

I can't logout without it hanging, either, which makes me think maybe there's a separate logout process for the GUI method or something.. I'm using KDE 4.2.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

yes/no/maybe so
    Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit - IP35-Pro | Q6600@3.3ghz(TRUE [lapped]) | G.Skill 2x2GB | MSI NX8600GT | 150GB WD Raptor ||| NAS - Ubuntu 10.04 - Intel D865GBF | P4 3.0GHz | G.Skill 4x1GB | FX5200-AGP | 3x250GB mdadm Raid5

Beans

guis use more system resources,,command line is closer to the 1's and 0's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have a similar issue with standby. It crashes with the GUI, works just fine from the command line. So I'm in the "there is a difference" camp.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I suspect that the problem lies not within the shutdown or suspend processes themselves, but rather with the GUI front-end. To explain, the basic processes are the same whether executed from the command line or from the GUI; but, in order to work correctly from the GUI, the GUI needs to not hang or otherwise interrupt the sending the correct command to the system. Thus, the "hang" or "crash" mentioned by some posters relate to issues with handling the GUI by the system, and not with the processes themselves. Thus, there is no difference, as the processes are the same; the difference lies within the use of the different method of activating the process. The different results given above demonstrate that; the command line works with no problems, use of the GUI results in a hang or a crash. So, to resolve, one must determine what the problem is with the GUI, and for that, I have no idea, but suggest to the poster who had to disable DRI for the video card to work that this might be one potential explanation of the difference observed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Oddly, my system suspends just fine from the GUI. It won't come back up though. I have to do a hard reboot. If I suspend from the command line and close my lid, it comes up perfectly when I open the lid again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast