Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: system76 laptops dual boot vista/xp/osx?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

system76 laptops dual boot vista/xp/osx?

I currently have an HP Pavillion laptop which is great... except the screen is insanely cracked, has been for about six months. They told me it would cost $600 dollars (more than half the cost of the laptop) to fix so I told them where to go and got used to the cracks.

But with that possible stimulus package along with my permanent fund check (the money that Alaskans get from oil revenue) I may have some extra money,and gosh it would be great to be able to see my screen.

Here's my question. I like Ubuntu a lot and if I could use it exclusively, I would. But I do a lot of graphic design stuff and gIMP really doesn't cut it- I need photoshop. So, a System76 laptop, (I have my eye on the Pangolin Performance with a 3GB memory upgrade and a 320GB hard drive) can dual boot a different os, yes? OS X would be awesome, XP would be fine, Vista would be annoying. But any of them would work.

Any thoughts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: system76 laptops dual boot vista/xp/osx?

It will definitely dual boot xp and vista. We've never tested with osx, and I have no idea what it would take to get all of the hardware working under osx.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

The 10.5.2 Kalyway OSX on my bonobo works flawlessly. Everything works minus the wireless (no fully working drivers for intel wireless yet), but a compatible USB wireless stick fixes that problem. the iDenb osx's worked as well but had to do a few hacks to get the sound working on those ones (and no wireless because of the intel card).

Beans

I wonder if it will work for the serval as I assume their components are very similar.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Apple Inc. has this legal theory that their EULA prevents installing os x on anything other than their equipment - witness their lawsuit against psystar. Personally, I wonder why their EULA doesn't prohibit installing anything other than os x on their stuff...
    But, just for the sake of argument, how would one get around the lack of bios and the lack of apple SMC?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Isn't running OS X on non Apple products forbidden by its EULA?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

In case there are any Apple spies listening in...

System76 doesn't encourage putting OSX on any of our computers (or even on Macs, for that matter. ).
    Now, on with the show.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by former_warper View Post
    Apple Inc. has this legal theory that their EULA prevents installing os x on anything other than their equipment - witness their lawsuit against psystar. Personally, I wonder why their EULA doesn't prohibit installing anything other than os x on their stuff...
    But, just for the sake of argument, how would one get around the lack of bios and the lack of apple SMC?
    there is a forum dedicated to installing osx on pc hardware

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showforum=85

but all the installs use modified versions of the osx install dvd which gets around the bios smc problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wrender View Post
    I wonder if it will work for the serval as I assume their components are very similar.
    it probably will as the serval hardware is pretty much the same as the bonobo's. The general consensus is to have as much intel hardware as possible + nvidia video card. (except the intel wireless has no drivers yet for mac). I never use osx though, I just stick with ubuntu and virtualbox for any windows apps i have to use. I just installed it cause I can lol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Lol, I didn't really expect to get a thumbs up on OSX- Apple would never let us do something so communal and uncapitalistic. I don't know a whole lot about the backend programming of an os, so I thought another unix or unix-like operating system would be happier on the system 76 computer.

Glad to hear I can use XP. Now,the question is... is CS4 xp compatible...? With my luck, probably not. Maybe I'll wait to see what happens with "Windows 7."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast