Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Microsoft/Windows - anti-freedom

Welcome to the Recurring Discussions.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
    typical windows user response.
    Did you actually taunt someone by calling them a "typical windows user"...?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsie View Post
    To be fair those license agreements don't mean anything to anyone. Nobody even reads them lol. Most people just do whatever they want on their computer and are happy with that. And they always have the freedom to not use that operating system if they don't want to be 'limited'.
    I read the licenses. I never click accept without reading what I am accepting.

I've never found them to be restrictive.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    Interesting how people make statements like "I don't care about access to source code, I just want it to work", as though the two were mutually exclusive.

Naturally, proprietary apps often work, and sometimes open source ones don't work or don't work as well; so I understand where the statement is coming from. But access to source code is all about making a computer "just work". That's the point, not some geeky obsession with gazing at someone else's C handiwork.

If you have used a computer for a long time (as in, though multiple platform/version transitions) and for more than just web browsing and playing games, probably some of these things have happened to you:

- Had to purchase new software because the file formats changed and your version didn't support the new format
    - Had to buy a new OS because the new application version you need doesn't support your OS version.
    - Had to buy a new computer or upgrade your hardware because the new OS you required (for the reasons above) didn't support your hardware.
    - Had to find a replacement for a program you relied on because the vendor went out of business, or decided they didn't want to keep supporting/publishing that title.
    - Were prevented from switching to a competitor's superior software because you have GB of files in the current vendor's format, and there's no conversion utility.
    - Were unable to do what you needed with a program because of an arbitrary (rather than technical) limitation imposed on your software because you bought the "lite" or "home" version, rather than the "pro" or "ultimate" version.
    - Were driven to use one company's software because of compatibility issues, rather than choosing them on the basis of price/features/quality.

I could go on, but basically these are the kinds of fundamental problems with information technology that the free software movement was created to combat. Forget Microsoft, it's an issue of the proprietary "product" model vs. an open source "support" model. e.g., if your business relies on selling copies of a product, you only make money if people buy more copies of your products. The worst thing that can happen is someone buy your product and run it for 10 years happily. You need them to pay for an upgrade every 1-2 years, or buy an additional product, or buy more licenses of your product in order to stay profitable.

Recommended reading:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/magic-cauldron/

http://www.fsf.org/about/what-is-free-software
    I've been using computers daily for a variety of tasks since 1989 and have never encountered any of the issues you've described. It has almost ALWAYS been a better cost benefit to replace software/hardware than it is to modify it and maintain it afterwards.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tsali View Post
    I've been using computers daily for a variety of tasks since 1989 and have never encountered any of the issues you've described. It has almost ALWAYS been a better cost benefit to replace software/hardware than it is to modify it and maintain it afterwards.
    Well, there you go. I guess you don't need FOSS. I, and many people I know, have had different experiences. And I appreciate using software that is open because of it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

nobody forces the user to buy (or to use) windows. it's a business like so many others; and about the anti-freedom and not being open sourced...well most people don't care. for them computers are just tools, not credos, not ideologies. not everyone has the time, the willingness and the passion to fiddle with things so irrelevant to them as programs and operating systems. I've used Linux since 2003, but not because I hate Microsoft or Windows but because I like diversity, change and I wanted to find out more; it's just an alternative, not a religion. at least for me
    The limits of my language mean the limits of my world

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by karellen View Post
    nobody forces the user to buy (or to use) windows. It's a business like so many others; and about the anti-freedom and not being open sourced...well most people don't care. For them computers are just tools, not credos, not ideologies. Not everyone has the time, the willingness and the passion to fiddle with things so irrelevant to them as programs and operating systems. I've used linux since 2003, but not because i hate microsoft or windows but because i like diversity, change and i wanted to find out more; it's just an alternative, not a religion. At least for me
    +1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by XP Home EULA
    The Software may not be used by more than one processor at any one time on any single Workstation Computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by XP Home EULA
    You may permit a maximum of five (5) computers or other electronic devices (each a "Device") to connect to the Workstation Computer to utilize one or more of the following services of the Software: File Services, Print Services, Internet Information Services, and remote access (including connection sharing and telephony services). The five connection maximum includes any indirect connections made through "multiplexing" or other software or hardware which pools or aggregates connections. This five connection maximum does not apply to any other uses of the Software.
    I was too sickened to read through the rest of it. They charge $95 for that‽ It's a shame, really, people pay $95 and then find out that they can't even use two processors... (It's really not a problem for most people, though.)
    Registered Linux user #481459

Beans

Everybody knows Windows is bloatware, crapware and bugware.

So why are we having this discussion???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Talked to the owner of a repair shop today. He has been up and down and has been a beta tester for MS for both XP and Vista and is now working on Windows 7. BUT

All of his regular computing is done on Kbuntu! His shop OPERATIONAL computers are also Linux. .... BUT,

When I asked him why he did not promote Linux .. I got the answer.

"Why should I bite the hand that feeds me and pays the rent. If it were not for MS I would not have any business! MS combined with the classic clueless user generates the income to keep my shop running and pay my help!"

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast