Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft/Windows - anti-freedom

Beans

Re: Microsoft/Windows - anti-freedom

If computers are important to our lives, software is equally so; because the software is the important part of the computer. Do you disagree with that?
    I cannot disagree with that.

In the same way, nuclear fusion is also very important in that it heats the planet daily.

I don't ponder how many Mev are released by each fusion event while I'm laying on the beach...

However, I might think about how the bartender shorted me on tequila...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tsali View Post
    A computer is a tool or appliance that performs a service. Most don't care HOW. They DON'T differentiate between the software and hardware. They DON'T care where the CPU or hard disk is located or how they work.

It's about like asking if people care about the metallurgy that went into making a screwdriver. They don't - they just want to use the tool.
    ...and we come to the same point we reached in another thread a while back. The user may just want to play a video, but the infrastructure to watch it must still be there. It's easy to say that "average users don't care about the internals of the system," but that doesn't really matter. An operating system's purpose is to cater to application developers, who in turn write the software that desktop users need.

Also, a screwdriver serves one basic purpose. Even if you put a laser-pointer on the front and add a memory-foam grip, it will still just be inserted into a screw and turned. Computers have far more varied uses that have evolved over time. Again, consider online video. Just in the past decade, watching videos online has been transformed from a rare, geeky pursuit to an almost-ubiquitous activity. Needs are always changing.

Beans

I cannot disagree with that.

In the same way, nuclear fusion is also very important in that it heats the planet daily.

I don't ponder how many Mev are released by each fusion event while I'm laying on the beach...

However, I might think about how the bartender shorted me on tequila...

That really makes no sense, and doesn't relate to my point in the slightest. I would explain why I think that, but I'm not really seeing the point any more.

Beans

I've registered for this thread because it represents a supreme sticking point to why I find myself unable to stick to OSS when compared to closed-source alternatives.

I think the biggest problem here is simply this: it's hard to convey the tangible, long-term reasons for why someone should use an open-source tool. Let me explain by a popular example:

Say someone is told "hey, use OpenOffice instead of MS Office". So they go and try it, but find some formatting issues with existing .doc files for example. So they tell whoever advocated OO and they say "well you should be using ODF, for such and such a reason". Unfortunately, that doesn't wash with most people because the world uses .doc, not ODF, plus it doesn't help with their current incompatibility. You can't convince them that it's not worth ponying up some cash for a commercial application with a far nicer interface and full support for the file you're trying to use!

Also, someone mentioned the issue of upgrading to newer versions of a program because older formats aren't supported. Does this really matter if there weren't any OSS programs which provided the same functionality to begin with? Are there any programs with the same level of capability as Pro Tools, or even FL Studio? I mean advanced functionality, not something like LMMS. Should I settle for a poor-man's version of a music production program, just because it's OSS?

Reduced functionality in favor of some long-term benefit is VERY HARD to convince people of its merit. Particularly since there's no grantee people will even encounter the supposed long-term benefit. The .doc format is used so much because it's proven, .odf isn't, and the lack of use in business and even between friends isn't going to help convince people of its value.

So, the reason I don't bother with most OSS alternatives is due to lack of functionality. I love functionality, it's what makes me capable of doing things I couldn't do in alternative programs written in OSS. There are exceptions, but overall I want the functionality. Licensing? Only applies for business; most home users couldn't care less (see, I used the phrase correctly).
    Last edited by RichartT; February 4th, 2009 at 07:16 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by rickyjones View Post
    1. "does not work anymore" - Like when you perform a motherboard upgrade and it thinks that it has been copied to a new computer and asks you to re-activate it? It still works.
    2. Your older software can be installed on your newer computer as long as the old computer is no longer using it. It's in the EULA if I recall correctly.

3. As for being unable to use, for example the Home edition, on more than one processor - this is a known limitation to get people to use the professional versions. I don't agree with this but this is not limiting your use of your hardware - you can always get the version that you need for your PC.

Thanks,
    Richard
    1. If you change the motherboard, usually you change the processor and the memory as well, and maybe other components, like the videocard, and this qualifies very well as another computer...
    2. Maybe this is the case for non-OEM software, but for OEM software, in the EULA is stated that you can not install on another computer, even the older one is no longer used at all.
    3. Yes, and you pay for software that you don't use...

All talk is for software used legally, isn't it?
    The Odor
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending small a degree of it. -- Thomas Jefferson
    Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    That really makes no sense, and doesn't relate to my point in the slightest. I would explain why I think that, but I'm not really seeing the point any more.
    The point is that users have no interest in knowing HOW the software works. HOW it does what it does is NOT important to them.

What is important is THAT IS DOES WORK.

For all I know, there are a billion tiny hamsters on treadmills at the other end of the powerline outside of my house. It doesn't matter to me. What matters is that I plug in my blender and it crunches ice...

Beans

The point is that users have no interest in knowing HOW the software works. HOW it does what it does is NOT important to them.

What is important is THAT IS DOES WORK.

For all I know, there are a billion tiny hamsters on treadmills at the other end of the powerline outside of my house. It doesn't matter to me. What matters is that I plug in my blender and it crunches ice...
    Again, this is irrelevant when considering an operating system. The purpose of an OS is to be developer-friendly. Only with a strong collection of available software can an OS provide users with a good experience.

Also, your lack of interest in the system is a moot point. You may not care about the technology used in something like Microsoft Silverlight, but you still need it to watch those videos from the Olympics live on NBC.

Beans

Again, this is irrelevant when considering an operating system. The purpose of an OS is to be developer-friendly. Only with a strong collection of available software can an OS provide users with a good experience.

Also, your lack of interest in the system is a moot point. You may not care about the technology used in something like Microsoft Silverlight, but you still need it to watch those videos from the Olympics live on NBC.
    I think we're really saying the same thing. There were those earlier stating that it was important to know how the OS worked (or at least that's how I took it).

It's not. As you said, it's moot. Users' don't care about how...they care that it does.

Beans

i went to linux when my windows folder was 20gb and i culd not get it down and i only have a 60gb hard drive therefore it was holding useless files and would not let me delete them

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

How much people cannot pay for Windows? Or have trouble using pirated copies? No problem..M$'s rights.
    Now, there are alternatives, better software, solutions for an old hardware, even FREE - but propaganda will do its best (or worst) for that not to be known.
    So it all comes to the point that if something is done with good intentions (good encompasses ALL), in a spirit of service, that's perfect. When manipulation steps in things start to go wrong. Dark forces do what they can to dumb our inate goodness and they went so far that this whole civilization is crumbling.
    Do we need an operating system? It's a simple question and as such has a simple answer. That applies to everything and that's liberty.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast