Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsoft/Windows - anti-freedom

Beans

Re: Microsoft/Windows - anti-freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Icehuck View Post
    So how does that source code look?
    Like I care? It allows me to be productive, and in the case of OS X, it works just like I want it to. In ever way, OS X is my perfect OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by lukaszr View Post
    i second that motion!
    We are not blaming Microsoft or Apple for Linux "Failing". First of all, WHAT FAILING!? I don't understand in what aspect has linux fail.

Second, the point of this thread is about the limitations you accept when using a Microsoft product, in this case, MS Windows.
    Ubuntu Printer Support | Restricted Formats
    KDE 4.4 is amazing!
    I'm learning Ruby yay!

Beans

A vast majority of computer users have no interest in working with sourcecode. They just want things to work, be easy to use and look nice. Windows and OSX cater for those people, Linux is getting there but still has a wee bit to go.

I don't think Linux is failing. That was probably an improper use of the word. It is struggling to gain market share though. I don't think spreading hate or starting arguments with Windows users is the best way to promote Linux. Neither is trying to look superior while putting Windows users down. People have been whining on these boards for years, "Microsoft this" and "Microsoft that", when if they really cared about Linux they would be doing things to help improve Linux. Stop making the Linux community look ugly and hateful and do something positive for the community.
    Last edited by Johnsie; February 2nd, 2009 at 05:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsie View Post
    A vast majority of computer users have no interesting in working with sourcecode. They just want things to work, be easy to use and look nice. Windows and OSX cater for those people, Linux is getting there but still has a wee bit to go.

I don't think Linux is failing. That was probably an improper use of the word. It is struggling to gain market share though. I don't think spreading hate or starting arguments with Windows users is the best way to promote Linux. Neither is trying to look superior while putting Windows users down. People have been whining on these boards for years, "Microsoft this" and "Microsoft that", when if they really cared about Linux they would be doing things to help improve Linux. Stop making the Linux community look ugly and hateful and do something positive for the community.
    We are talking about the freedom you have (as in free speech). We are not talking about if you can be 1000% more productive in MS Windows or in Apple's OSX. We are talking about that you are accepting conditions that limit your freedom, and i you can go and read OSX and Windows EULA and verify that.

However, i do agree with you. There is no gain in bashing Windows or OSX in favor of Linux, but i think that the op is having a nice talk about ideologys and paradigms that differ from those of Microsoft or Apple's, and i dont see any harm on it.
    Last edited by piousp; February 2nd, 2009 at 05:19 PM.
    KDE 4.4 is amazing!
    I'm learning Ruby yay!

Beans

I could care less about freedom. I want a computer that works. If I can do more with a computer that is "anti-freedom" than a free one, I am going to. I prefer to stick with Linux for the community.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by aceinthenight View Post
    Like I care? It allows me to be productive, and in the case of OS X, it works just like I want it to. In ever way, OS X is my perfect OS.
    Then going by your previous statement you couldn't do anything you wanted with it. However, you can use the applications available to do the tasks at hand.

Beans

To be fair those license agreements don't mean anything to anyone. Nobody even reads them lol. Most people just do whatever they want on their computer and are happy with that. And they always have the freedom to not use that operating system if they don't want to be 'limited'.

Beans
    Hidden!

To be fair those license agreements don't mean anything to anyone. Nobody even reads them lol. Most people just do whatever they want on their computer and are happy with that. And they always have the freedom to not use that operating system if they don't want to be 'limited'.
    Those license agreements do mean something in terms of law. The GNU license has been tested in court and is upheld.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I disagree. License is something you accept or have, and in our world it implies a legal responsability. Maybe a lot of windows users have never read the license, and they could care less. But THATS NOT THE POINT. In fact, i think you are violating your own freedom by not reading the license.
    KDE 4.4 is amazing!
    I'm learning Ruby yay!

Beans

No, I am saving time by not reading the license. It's not that big a deal because they are not enforced anyway. I'm not going to get into a troll fight with you guys. So let's just agree to disagree and move on.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast