Thread: apt multiple repositories with priority?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Question apt multiple repositories with priority?

My ISP provides a mirror of ubuntu, which I can reconfigure my sources.list to use the ISP repository instead. Since this local ISP mirror is free (does not contribute to monthly download quota), I much prefer to use it.

But, this repository is only available inside the ISP network and IP range. Thus, if I am not connected to the internet from my home ISP connection, then 'apt-get update' attempts fail to connect to the repository.

Is it possible to have multiple repositories defined, with a priority assignment? Thus, if I am at home and apt can connect to my local ISP's repo mirror then it will use that, but if I am not at home and it cannot connect then it will fall-back to another repo?

Example ...

deb ftp://ftp.netspace.net.au/pub/ubuntu/ intrepid main restricted 10
    deb http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ intrepid main restricted 20

Where the 10|20 at the end of each line denotes the usage priority. Thus use the 10 priority first (my ISP mirror) and if that fails then use the 20 priority line.

I search the forums and used google, but could find nothing. I did find references to apt priority for package versions, but this didn't seem teh same/appropriate to me.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Re: apt multiple repositories with priority?

Bump. Nothing available at all to achieve this? If not, perhaps I should brainstorm it?

Beans
    Distro

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by binbash View Post

Thanks, but all of those only deal with pinning/prioritising repo's on the basis of package versions, and which version you want to keep/ignore. They don't deal/assist with multiple repo's where those repo's have the exact same packages and versions, and which repo you want to prioritise for downloading upgrades.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Mouth View Post
    Thanks, but all of those only deal with pinning/prioritising repo's on the basis of package versions
    I think the easiest solution for you is to use two different copies of /etc/apt/sources.list and use (copy) the correct one when needed.
    You can even make some fancy shellscript which periodically looks up your ip-address and then copies the correct sources.list to /etc/apt/

Beans

Please correct me if I'm wrong - but I believe you can have multiple repositories in your sources.list file, and then Ubuntu prioritizes them in a top down manner.

For Example - I have a 100Mb uplink to my ISP, and a 10Mb uplink to everything else. My ISP is an ubuntu mirror, so I have it first in the list, and the default ubuntu repository second, like this:

deb ftp://mirrors.xmission.com/ubuntu/ jaunty main restricted universe multiverse
    deb ftp://mirrors.xmission.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-updates main restricted universe multiverse
    deb ftp://mirrors.xmission.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-security main restricted universe multiverse

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty main restricted universe multiverse
    deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-updates main restricted universe multiverse
    deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ jaunty-security main restricted universe multiverse

It seems to work for me