Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Reinstall all of your current packages if you do a fresh Ubuntu install

Beans

Re: HOWTO Reinstall all of your current packages if you do a fresh Ubuntu install

Thanks for the responses. That was a great help. I don't know how my Nvidia driver became faulty (if that is where the issue lies), as I had not even booted into the Ubuntu partition since I got it working. I'm copying all this down and going to see if it works.

Thanks once again.

Beans

Re: HOWTO Reinstall all of your current packages if you do a fresh Ubuntu install

hey, i'm getting ready to upgrade to 9.04. I got everything backed up fine, except for the 'lock' file in my /var/cache/apt/archives folder. it says i don't have permission to copy/paste it. is this file necessary?

i moved all of the other files successfully and also saved my packages with synaptic. are these the only things i will need to do before upgrading (my home directory is in its own partition, so no need to back it up)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This was extremely useful, managed to reinstall everything effortless.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by obscur156 View Post
    With one command you can install all your apps in one shot :

sudo aptitude install firestarter krusader amsn ktorrent amarok devede k3b vlc ksnapshot netspeed audacity timer-applet convertall gtkhash bleachbit
    Damn ! That is clever !!

I've been digging up the whole wide web searching informations about backing up packages. All I found was complicated solutions. Thanks mate, we all need to learn from you simplicity.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hello,
    I am new to linux and wiped windows clean off all my pcs and just did it. All is well, I have been watching my used space on my hardrive. I have noticed that the archives in var is freaking huge and growing I found it was the archive.thanks to this post I know how to backup my install and tanks to a different build a live cd. Im all over it and can hardly wait.

Thanks,

The Questions,

Can I remove the archived files?
    If not, can I relocate files?
    If possible is there a way to make the os archive somewhare else by defalt?

Thanks,

MadBillyGoat

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MadBillyGoat View Post
    Hello,
    I am new to linux and wiped windows clean off all my pcs and just did it. All is well, I have been watching my used space on my hardrive. I have noticed that the archives in var is freaking huge and growing I found it was the archive.thanks to this post I know how to backup my install and tanks to a different build a live cd. Im all over it and can hardly wait.

Thanks,

The Questions,

Can I remove the archived files?
    If not, can I relocate files?
    If possible is there a way to make the os archive somewhare else by defalt?

Thanks,

MadBillyGoat
    Yes, you can safely delete the files in /var/cache/apt/archives if you wish.

Beans

What about programs installed in wine? How do you go about putting those back? Do you have to go back and do all that the hard way?

Thanks,
    BM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Barna Madau View Post
    What about programs installed in wine? How do you go about putting those back? Do you have to go back and do all that the hard way?

Thanks,
    BM
    You probably can just back up your ~/.wine directory. If you're making backups of your home directory as everyone should, you can simply copy it back over if you need to restore.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hell again,
    Thank you for the information it was most helpful. I do have another question, Somehow The archives changed I did nothing, but there are packages missing. Are the archives deleted automatically after a set time or size? Or are only the essential packages kept forever? Because the dir went from over 2 gigs to under 600mgs. I thought it was kid of odd.

Thanks

MadBillyGoat

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by inod3 View Post
    Sorry, but its not working for me:

Ubuntu 8.10

System -> administration -> synaptic package manager *click*
    File -> Save Marking As... *click*
    $ cat <filename>
    $

Nothingness. Same for option 'Save Markings'.
    Same thing happened to me until I clicked the "save full state, not only changes" checkbox in the File-Save Marking As... dialog (near the bottom).

-Ralph
    G. Ralph Kuntz, MD
    grk(at)usa(dot)net

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast