Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HOWTO Reinstall all of your current packages if you do a fresh Ubuntu install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HOWTO Reinstall all of your current packages if you do a fresh Ubuntu install

Another tip is that if you have a download cap/slow connection, and are duplicating a system, you can move all the .deb packages that you want from /var/cache/apt/archives on the source system to the same place on the target system. Apt (or synaptic) will automatically detect that it has them and not bother downloading them all over again.
    Server: 2.2GHz Athlon 64; 4GB; 2TB; Debian 5 x64
    LividEmperor: 3.3GHz i5 2500K; 8GB; 660GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x64 + Windows 7 x64
    Netbook1: 1.6GHz Atom; 2GB; 160GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x86
    Dogeatdog: 3GHz Phenom II; 3GB; 1TB; Windows 7 x64

Beans

Smile Re: HOWTO Reinstall all of your current packages if you do a fresh Ubuntu install

Well, the way below is so more simple.

In older system do:

# dpkg -l|grep ii|cut -d ' ' -f 3 > /media/<ANYTHING>/packages_`date +"%Y%m%d"`.txt
    # cp /etc/apt/sources.list /media/<ANYTHING>/sources_`date +"%Y%m%d"`.list

In the new system:

# cp /media/<ANYTHING>/sources_<DATE>.list /etc/apt/sources.list
    # apt-get updade; apt-get install -y `cat /media/<ANYTHING>/packages_<DATE>.txt`

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO Reinstall all of your current packages if you do a fresh Ubuntu install

This entire thread is smokin' cool. That said, why is this issue so bloody arcane? Why isn't this "common knowledge" and built into the update/upgrade processing that synaptic and apt and dpkg try to accomplish?

For example,
    • when I select upgrade within synaptic, maybe it could tell me, "Saving list of added and removed packages..." and "Please provide a path and file name ..."
    • when I first boot after an upgrade, maybe something could ask me, "Do you have a record of added and removed packages..." and "Please provide a path and file name ..."

It is this sort of "I know a secret..." about accomplishing important, common tasks that discourages plain folks from approaching linux.
    "All government spending, regardless of the motives, uses YOUR money."

MountainX is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I would like to do something like this with KDE. In particular, I want to make Kubuntu as close to openSUSE 11.2 as possible. Does anyone know an easy way to get all the settings, installed apps, themes and other stuff from openSUSE KDE and replicate it in Kubuntu?

I want everything from the grub and boot splash screens to the same list of default apps to the default plasma configuration. Of course, that's just a starting point. I will change the branding and stuff, but for starters, I want everything from openSUSE because it is a much more polished setup and almost everything works better for me.

I am willing to install openSUSE. From there, I need to know what to copy and how to save it so it can be imported into Kubuntu after a fresh install. Is this possible in a manner as easy as what is described in this thread?

I know there may be issues related to KDE-base versions being slightly different, so if any experts can suggest how to do this I will be extremely happy.

References:
    http://forums.opensuse.org/applicati...mangement.html
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1308011
    Desktop: KX Studio (Kubuntu 12.04)
    Laptop & Netbook: Kubuntu 12.04
    Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Phone: Nexus 4 Cyanogenmod

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by SaintDanBert View Post
    This entire thread is smokin' cool. That said, why is this issue so bloody arcane? Why isn't this "common knowledge" and built into the update/upgrade processing that synaptic and apt and dpkg try to accomplish?

For example,
    • when I select upgrade within synaptic, maybe it could tell me, "Saving list of added and removed packages..." and "Please provide a path and file name ..."
    • when I first boot after an upgrade, maybe something could ask me, "Do you have a record of added and removed packages..." and "Please provide a path and file name ..."

It is this sort of "I know a secret..." about accomplishing important, common tasks that discourages plain folks from approaching linux.
    If you really wanted to fix all of these minor little naggings (that often only newbies would need), then feel free to add them in. But once you've learned how to do something, you don't need a useless little bit of driftwood telling you how to do it. That's why most Linux developers concentrate on the more pressing issues.

Anyway, Linux isn't Windows and it has to be admitted that a fair amount of 'computer literacy' is assumed in most if not all distros - it's just one of those things you need if you're to use Linux. Mark Shuttleworth might disagree all he likes but yeah, you do need to know a fair amount about computers to use Linux to its full advantage. If you don't, then Linux distros such as Ubuntu and the like will appear as cheap Windows knock offs that lack features, and that's sadly what's happened with alot of people. If everyone knew how to use the command line there wouldn't be half the anti-linux rants that there are now.
    Server: 2.2GHz Athlon 64; 4GB; 2TB; Debian 5 x64
    LividEmperor: 3.3GHz i5 2500K; 8GB; 660GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x64 + Windows 7 x64
    Netbook1: 1.6GHz Atom; 2GB; 160GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x86
    Dogeatdog: 3GHz Phenom II; 3GB; 1TB; Windows 7 x64

Beans

yes, a good thread with most content well written and understandable. but don't think that this addresses the full range of concerns for those of us who want to re-install or update a customized and functional system.

as most do, i have not only changed from the default package list (for instance removing most games and adding some useful apps....), but i have also made various config changes (such as the hack to disable the touchpad when keying). and i am on 8.04 but want to get to 9.10 (don't i?).

so seem to be two paths to do this. one is to do 4(!) updates 8.04->8.10->9.04-.9.10. ugg, seems like a risky and time consuming path. also, i have poulsboro drivers to bring along.

so maybe better to do a fresh install. in that case, what i'd like to do is to create a fresh 9.10 system on a usb device, apply all of my changes to that stick (packages, configs, ...), try it out for bit, and then bring all of that back onto my hard drive as my standard boot. isn't this what 99% of end users would want?

so i can create the 9.10 usb install and with this thread can bring over my package list (mostly), but what about the configs and other files that are in various system folders? how do i get those to the new system? right, i don't have a list of those changes made over the past year.... and then, once happy with the new system, how to get it back to my hard drive.

am i right that this procedure doesn't exist? i hear linux guys talk about doing something like this, but don't find the tools or clear instructions anywhere.

i'll post this question elsewhere as a fresh question, but thought i might get some answers here as this thread is at least close to what i want to do.
    ______Ron

Beans

Great guide. Thank you for this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by kazemizuhi View Post
    I have yet to find a tutorial or instructions for downloading an installation file to one's drive, then proceeding to install said file as one is wont to do in a Windows environment. Everything I have seen thus far has required sudo apt-get or use of synaptic. As far as I know these methods do not provide me with an installation file which I can re-use at a later date. This leads me to believe that it may not be possible. Yet my better judgement tells me otherwise; for how did the average linux user get-by prior to the prevalence of the internet?
    Find the raw package files of your choice. They need to be *.DEB format packages. (There are ways to convert from other package formation into *.DEB format, but I won't go there.) You fetch the packages into a folder on your local computer, say "$HOME/myPackages"
    Then:
    Code:
    prompt$ cd $HOME/myPackages
    prompt$ sudo  dpkg --install  pack1.deb
    prompt$ sudo  dpgh --install  pack2a.deb pack2b.deb ... pack2z.deb
    prompt$ sudo  dpkg --install  packLast.deb
    The first example is for a package that stands alone.
    The second example is for a package with dependencies. Yes, you need to manage these on your own.

COMMENTARY: I know that there are ways to run apt against local copies of package files. I've never done it. Maybe someone else can contribute that.

~~~ 0;-Dan
    "All government spending, regardless of the motives, uses YOUR money."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by SaintDanBert View Post
    Find the raw package files of your choice. They need to be *.DEB format packages. (There are ways to convert from other package formation into *.DEB format, but I won't go there.) You fetch the packages into a folder on your local computer, say "$HOME/myPackages"
    Then:
    Code:
    prompt$ cd $HOME/myPackages
    prompt$ sudo  dpkg --install  pack1.deb
    prompt$ sudo  dpgh --install  pack2a.deb pack2b.deb ... pack2z.deb
    prompt$ sudo  dpkg --install  packLast.deb
    The first example is for a package that stands alone.
    The second example is for a package with dependencies. Yes, you need to manage these on your own.

COMMENTARY: I know that there are ways to run apt against local copies of package files. I've never done it. Maybe someone else can contribute that.

~~~ 0;-Dan
    Most of the Deb packages I've installed have only required opening up Software Manager to do it. For some programs I have found with dependencies it's best to use Synaptic. On occasion and I suspect it will be more so I've had to use the command lines I either find in the site for the program to add repositories or use the get-apt command to make certain the program installs.

I have a similar question: As I understand it the markings file I created in Synaptic will allow me to reinstall all the packages/programs currently on my system when I go to a clean install of the new release. Does that markings file also take into account dependencies? I did also discover on my own the need to check the box involving installs as well as changes. I'm hoping that the dependencies of these packages/programs will resolve themselves as well.
    When in doubt, check it out!

If all else fails, check the plug!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Question Re: HOWTO Reinstall all of your current packages if you do a fresh Ubuntu install

Quote Originally Posted by iwfur25 View Post
    /var/cache/apt/archives contains the downloaded packages. Back it up (if you have the space) and restore it along with the markings and apt won't have to re-download all (or maybe most?) of the packages.
    I looked into that folder and found very little in it. In fact it's listed as having files with 0 bytes and in the Apt folder there are two bin files, pkgcache.bin and srcpkgcache.bin. What are those? I've backed up the markings but do wonder about what will happen when I attempt to reinstall these packages. It's been indicated that a new installation of the upcoming release may cause compatibility problems. Will there be any kind of messages during the reinstall which will help out in the proper install of my present packages?
    When in doubt, check it out!

If all else fails, check the plug!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234