Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can the Panels be locked in place?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Can the Panels be locked in place?

SOLVED

Can the Panels in Gnome be locked in place? if they can, how?

My father is new to Ubuntu and he keeps moving the panels around without even knowing he is doing it (I have watched him closely and it is him doing it, even though he denies it, lol).
    Last edited by k3lt01; May 13th, 2009 at 09:30 AM. Reason: To add that the issue has been solved
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Can the Panels be locked in place?

I'm pretty sure you can right click on the panel, and there's an option called "Lock Panel Position". Try that and see if it works.

Beans
    Distro

Nope there is no "Lock Panel Position" option. See screenshot for proof.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Install Ubuntu Tweak, it is in Synaptic. After it is installed, it will be under Applications, System Tools. Once open, go to desktop, gnome, check complete lockdown of panels.
    Never wade in water you're afraid to swim in unless it's the Linux pond, cause there's always a life ring in the forums

Beans
    Distro

Thanks gettinoriginal, I tested it on my laptop and it worked, now to fix my dads laptop.

Beans

I need help. I thought this would be the answer. I have 5 public access computers and our patrons have so totally screwed the desktop that I have had to resort to reinstalling Ubuntu (the one with the Crane oops edit: Hardy Heron).

So I have been searching through this forum and found this suggestion of using "Tweak"

But this is what is in the Synaptic description:
    an efficient hex editor
    Tweak is a hex editor. It allows you to edit a file at very low
    level, letting you see the full and exact binary contents of the
    file. It can be useful for modifying binary files such as
    executables, editing disk or CD images, debugging programs that
    generate binary file formats incorrectly, and many other things.

Tweak runs under any terminal emulator using the curses library. It
    has customizable keybindings, but the default keybindings are similar
    to emacs.
    Where is this Tweak in Synaptic that is supposed to "lockdown" panels and such???
    Last edited by marianlibrarian; May 4th, 2009 at 05:36 PM.
    Public Library - 4 Public Access "GROOVIX" Computers! Our library has been an Ubuntu fan since 2007 AND our public access computers are still here!
    Have an open mind. Your brain will not fall out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

marianlibrarian you can find it here: http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

HI
    Just search on google for ubuntu tweak and download the deb package, i didn't find it in synaptic
    “You can cut all the flowers but you cannot keep spring from coming.” Pablo Neruda

Beans

I went to Ubuntu Tweak link provided above. I think that may be more than this poor old librarian can comprehend.

However, I kept searching through the search results and found reference to something called Pessulus that you can find by going to your Synaptic thing and typing in the word Lockdown.

Once it is installed, there will be a selection in the System / Administration menu called "Lockdown Editor". This is simple enough for me to understand and will tide me over until I can figure out the Tweak thing.

Thanks!
    Public Library - 4 Public Access "GROOVIX" Computers! Our library has been an Ubuntu fan since 2007 AND our public access computers are still here!

Beans

Well, it does lock down the panels so they cannot be moved. However, the menu choice is available to all users even some one with no privileges. So I am going to have to figure out what tweak is and hope I don't blow up our computers in the process.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast