Thread: Toshiba Multimedia Keys?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Toshiba Multimedia Keys?

Hi guys! I've been wanting to mess with KDE for a long time now, and yesterday I finally got around to install (once again) Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid with KDE 4.1 and luckily I have almost everything working on my Toshiba Satellite A135 S4527...except these darn Multimedia Keys...

I tried compiling ktoshiba and it kept asking for lots of dependencies and when all dependencies were satisfied it started throwing up weird errors, so I tried installing an RPM, and nothing happened, and I found a neat .deb and yet again nothing happened. I believe ktoshiba is just not supported by KDE4...

Anyway, I've tried everything, even what the wiki suggested (using xev and konsole...etc) . Seems like NOTHING WORKS!

This is the last piece of hardware I need to get working on KDE. So if anyone can please help me out I'll be very very grateful! I've been trying this for hours and nothing works! I'm beginning to want to throw my laptop out the window!

Thanks in advance!
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Beans

Re: Toshiba Multimedia Keys?

not sure if it works with KDE4 but have you tried Key Touch?
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I tried it and apparently there's a bug filed on launchpad about KDE4 and keytouch keytouch-editor incompatibilities...

. This is driving me crazy...........
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Beans

ok, well I havent tried to do anything special with my toshiba laptop yes with the multimedia keys in Debian but I'll try tonight if I get the chance and let you know how things go
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks!

Suddenly the Previous/Next key started working and the Play/Pause key got setup as the Previous key.....This is so confusing......I got everything working 100% in Ubuntu, but Kubuntu wants to give me a headache.

I'm posting this from Ubuntu right now, I'm switching back to Kubuntu to see if something changed...
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, after a bloody and violent fight, it automagically worked. Amarok detects all my keys and they even work with Amarok on the background, just like they do in Ubuntu (with GNOME of course).

Don;t ask me how, but after much arguing, cursing and desperation, they're working nicely now...EVERYTHING WORKS! YAHOOOO!!!!! !

Thanks for your help though!

P.S.
    I need to learn KDE....GNOME is like my playground, and I understand it pretty much to perfection....but KDE is so new to me I feel like a complete Linux-n00b...
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Beans

glad to hear you got it working, guess I'll give it a go in XFCE and see what happens ~L~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks! I really like XFCE but for mobility...I have a flash drive with PuppyLinux on it but I've never even used those multimedia keys with it...Anyway I don't plan to use it on my laptop, just for doing stuff on the road with someone else's computer...!

So basically this thread is solved...kinda...heh!
    7$]-[!8@\|//\Rr!0|2!!!
    =D>
    My Little Ubuntu Blog!

Beans

I use XFCE on all my machines, I prefer it to gnome now after using it for awhile.

Flash drive is always good