Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What does windows OS use??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question What does windows OS use??

Okeh Im quite the beginner at OS infrastracture, but my curiosity is killing me.

From what I understand a kernel is like the basic brain of a Unix system no?

So what is MS-DOS to windows? is it like a kernel?
    Or are these to things completely different?

As well, why is Windows not listed as a Unix OS?
    There are times I see in books that BSD is also not Unix but then there are times its listed under Unix too?

What is it that separates these OSs from one another?

If you know the answer(s) or know a wiki/website/book which helps understand or answers these questions then please do share

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: What does windows OS use??

Ohhhh boy, this is something of a complicated issue, but I'll explain as best as I can.
    It's something of a twisted tale of intrigue and double-crossing, but there is much to be learned here.

Windows is to Gnome/KDE/XFCE/Busybox/whatever, as MS-DOS is to the command-line shell (BASH or what have you), as the NT kernel is to the Unix kernel.

Now I mentioned that this is somewhat complicated, and here's how.

Windows (anything newer than 3.11, at any rate) uses a "monolithic" kernel that attempts to include every possible function by default.
    Linux and BSD use "modular" kernels that can be made to include new functions as necessary; these often show up in popular distributions as "monolithic" designs that attempt to include as many popular functions as possible.
    Minix and QNX use a "micro" kernel that only attempts to handle core system functionality, with all usable features being handled as far away (design-wise) from the core system as possible.

Windows is simply not listed as a Unix OS because it doesn't use a Unix kernel. BSD can be listed as either, depending on whether GNU (GNU's Not Unix) tools are included in the distribution.

Linux is unique in that it can implement Unix utilities without having a single line of proprietary source in its kernel; in fact, SCO attempted to prove otherwise, and essentially lost the court case when their position boiled down to six lines in a timer function that really can't be handled in a more efficient, less trivial manner. They're still appealing the decision, though it's been found that Novell actually owns the right to pursue Unix copyright violations. If anything, Andrew Tanenbaum would have more legal cause to go after Linus Torvalds - as he authored the original Minix microkernel that Linus used as his inspiration - but he's expressed no such interest, and the two continue to have debates about monolithic versus micro kernel designs to this day. A good portion of the issues that Linux faces on the desktop today essentially trace back to a time when Microsoft acted to ban "bare" systems (shipped without an OS) with anti-piracy FUD, after which they somewhat successfully convinced hardware vendors to code exclusively for Windows APIs.

I hope this answers your question, but let me know if you need anything clarified (or if I got something wrong, guys, jump in)!
    Linux for Absolute Geniuses: Real Issues. Real Solutions.
    HP Pavilion dv8210us. Since 9.10, no longer such a struggle. Still worth it.

Beans

A kernel is essentially the core/brain of an OS if you want to call it that.

MS-DOS used to be an OS with a monolithic kernel up until around 2000.
    Earlier versions of windows up to 3.11 was basically just a GUI running on top of DOS.
    With windows 95/98/ME DOS was incorporated into the OS for bootstrapping.
    From Windows NT onwards DOS was no longer part of the OS.
    95-Vista still however have a console that looks and behaves like dos although it's not really dos from NT onwards.

Windows is not a unix based on the design & operation of the OS, it's also not posix compliant.

BSD cannot be called "Unix" because they are not certified as such by the Open Group which owns the trademark. Certification is expensive and you have to certify every version number. There are certain requirements you have to meet which I don't know if BSD does and you won't really know until they try and certify it. As far as I'm concerned bsd is a unix.

Just search for the relevant terms on wikipedia, MS-Dos, Windows, Unix, Posix, BSD, Kernel.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post

Earlier versions of windows up to 3.11 was basically just a GUI running on top of DOS.
    95-Vista still however have a console that looks and behaves like dos although it's not really dos from NT onwards.

Windows is not a unix based on the design & operation of the OS, it's also not posix compliant.

BSD cannot be called "Unix" because they are not certified as such by the Open Group which owns the trademark. Certification is expensive and you have to certify every version number. There are certain requirements you have to meet which I don't know if BSD does and you won't really know until they try and certify it. As far as I'm concerned bsd is a unix.

Just search for the relevant terms on wikipedia, MS-Dos, Windows, Unix, Posix, BSD, Kernel.
    Nice someone got it right I don't have to do it now.

Beans
    Hidden!

kernel is the "brain" of any operating system. Windows uses the NT Kernel. Windows still shares some similarities with MS-DOS, but it's not based off it anymore (Windows 9x is built ontop in DOS).

Windows isn't listed as a UNIX OS because it's not based off it and shares absolutely nothing in common with it. It's completely different.

Read about UNIX on wikipedia.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post

Thank you, mips. Still, considering that ntoskrnl.dll is protected by NDAs that give corporate lawyers nightmares for weeks, one is left to wonder how much of that kernel is "new and innovative" and how much is "rehashed DOS GUI implementations".
    Linux for Absolute Geniuses: Real Issues. Real Solutions.
    HP Pavilion dv8210us. Since 9.10, no longer such a struggle. Still worth it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

mips has covered all the bases and basics.

In regard to BSD and other "UNIX-like" operating systems, I believe this page from NetBSD says it best.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Smile Re: What does windows OS use??

Ahh ,I see. I was wondering whether windows actually used a kernel and if so what it was named.

Awesome now I can search better.
    Let me just recheck that I understand correctly (and sorry if its in sort of a dumbed down version, I'm still quite the beginner)

So the kernel is practically the "brain" of an OS and every OS has one, no?

Windows used to run on DOS but now its completely NT Kernel based.
    BSD is not classified as Unix because they aren't certified.

May I ask another thing?
    Is every OS classified as Unix mean they have the same type of kernel?
    Or at least a major part of the kernel for all Unix type OSs is similar?

Major thanks to all repliers especially orethrius and mips

I give you the medal for you service xD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Sorivenul,

That page is hilarious xD
    I was expecting a read-100-times-to-understand explanation of the matter, and all it uses is a DUCK!

Very Cool~

Beans

Operating systems all have kernels. Think of an OS as being built of layers. In the middle of this layered model, you have hardware. Surrounding the hardware you have the kernel, surrounding that you have a hardware abstraction layer, surrounding that you have either a command line interpreter or a GUI depending upon the OS. To be UNIX-like you need to conform to POSIX standards. Microsoft has come close with certain endeavors, but has consistantly chosen to do otherwise.

MINIX3, Fiwix, UNIX, BSD, Linux, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, Linux-libre, RISCOS, GNU, OS X, Next, IRIX, Ultrix, Tru64, and Xenix are all consider Unix-like systems.

DOS, CP/M, Windows, OS/2, SkyOS, Solar_OS, Menuet, Syllable, BeOS, Visopsys, z/OS, Netware, and MacOS (pre 10) these are all non-Unix systems.

Micro-kernel vs Monolithic kernel design has no little to no bearing on whether or not a system is Unix like. MINIX3 is a microkernel, while Xenix is a monolithic kernel. Windows XP is a monolithic kernel while Windows 7 is a microkernel.
    if (linux == choice) {lsb != linux;}
    else {linux = windows;}

http://one.xthost.info/aios

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast