Thread: 3D-desktops anyone?

Beans
    Hidden!

3D-desktops anyone?

Sometimes when I want to feel special, I open up a tdfsb (a 3D-file browser) in one desktop, maximize it, and remove the frame. I then open up xcruise (another 3d-file browser) in another desktop, and do the same.

I then press a key command to intitialize 3ddesktop, and marvel at the sight as I cycle through my 2D and 3D layered desktop!!

My friends (what few are left) think I'm a loser..

I think this kind of stuff is fun..

If only tdfsb was a file-manager. It previews pictures, and huge files sort of look like buildings.. Xcruise is wicked too.

Both can be apt-got.

When I find more time I want to try to install Java's 3D desktop. Aparently it will work on ANY system. Even Windows. You can download a liveCD of it called LG3D. Google it if you want to check it out. Its pretty sweet. Its nothing like a first-person-shooter or anything like that! It's just a window manager with a 3D layer, you might say..

I think a first-person-shooter type desktop would be even more killer.
    Or maybe just an environment like an RPG.

You could roam around your desktop with tux, slide into your igloo/home folder. There would be a filing-cabinet for your root-folder. A trash bin for .. trash.
    Maybe tux would carry around a backpack with a notebook, and a sudo-key around his neck.

This would take many man-years of work to accomplish as a desktop, but just as a game, I think it would be pretty sweet!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: 3D-desktops anyone?

You could roam around your desktop with tux, slide into your igloo/home folder. There would be a filing-cabinet for your root-folder. A trash bin for .. trash.
    Maybe tux would carry around a backpack with a notebook, and a sudo-key around his neck.
    That is an interesting prospect.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nalmeth
    When I find more time I want to try to install Java's 3D desktop. Aparently it will work on ANY system. Even Windows. You can download a liveCD of it called LG3D. Google it if you want to check it out. Its pretty sweet. Its nothing like a first-person-shooter or anything like that! It's just a window manager with a 3D layer, you might say..
    The live CD works good with an Nvidia card.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Hidden!

you're right I should have mentioned.
    I should also mention that if you have a built-in card like intel, or a laptop, it probably won't work.

ATI is supported

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Thats a quality idea Nalmeth

Beans
    Hidden!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

not Microsoft Bob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So... a 1337 java programmer walks into a bar...