Thread: install linux on GPS device?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

install linux on GPS device?

hi all,

this might be a silly question, but...

a few years ago, i bought a Nortech Navigation E-GPS010. this is a car/hand-held GPS unit that, for a while, worked pretty well. in fact, it still works well. the map version on my GPS is dated 2006, so i thought i'd upgrade; however, the crappy company who makes it (see: www.ferro-works.com/) offers absolutely appalling support. through hours of searching google, i've found out that, in fact, there are no updates for this device whatsoever.

that pissed me off...

i sent an e-mail to Ferro Works kindly inviting them to solve my problem, or invite me to try out a competitor's product (on their dime, of course). after waiting for 6 days, they explained in their poorly spelled reply that the latest map data for this (no-longer sold OR supported) device is for, you guessed it, 2006. also, they have denied my request to pay for a useful product (and i can't think of a way to MAKE them do anything...).

basically, i'm wondering if there is a feasible way to install some sort of linux-based software on this thing so that it stays useful. while the software may be crappy, the device itself has proved sound to me, and i paid around $300 for it originally so it would be a waste to just buy another. i realize that software is generally tailored to specific hardware, but my experience Linux proves that this isn't always a huge factor.

i know this is long-winded (and a long-shot by far), but i'm at my wits end with this damn thing and am willing to try anything. please, if anyone knows how to help (or even just knows of a better place to ask), let me know.

always appreciative,

jmd9qs

Beans
    Distro

Re: install linux on GPS device?

Highly doubtful you will be able to get any use out of it via trying to install Linux. Sorry.

I'd recommend Garmin or TomTom for a good GPS.
    Peter VK

Beans
    Distro

ya after searching around i've kinda given up on this one. sucks. thanks for the reply, though!

by the way, i've found out that this is running Windows CE, if that is of any help to anyone.

Beans

i like your style! every time i get a new device, im always thinking if i can run linux on it and i always have to make myself wait a while to try for fear of bricking it.

Beans
    Distro

i know! now i only buy products that run some sort of linux kernal on it. i'm even trying to figure out how to fix an iPod with my linux box, though i havent resorted to trying iPodLinux yet.

Cheers!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by jmd9qs View Post
    ya after searching around i've kinda given up on this one. sucks. thanks for the reply, though!

by the way, i've found out that this is running Windows CE, if that is of any help to anyone.
    I have seen a GPS (running Windows CE) with a linux system installed in/on the Windows CE IIRC. This was pretty recently at a local computer shop. The next time I'm in there, will ask around and try to get more info.

Here's a link to a webpage that might be of some use. It seems like an old page.

It seems like doing what you want to do is not a small task. I hope (if you chose to do it) that you get it working and report how you did it.

Beans
    Distro

hey thanks for the link man! i don't know if i'll ever get this going or not, seems to me like its not very feasible... however, if i do, there will be full documentation! i'd like to help the other poor buggers who bought the same POS!

jmd9qs

Beans

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...2&postcount=65 I know this thread is Doze-oriented and on another forum but it contains some info that may be useful to you, when it comes to hacking a CE device. I picked up one of those Curtis units for $50 and wanna mess around with it. If you run Garmin/iGO software, you can get newer street maps and a better interface.