Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB KVM Switch causing X to crash with 2.6.27-11 Kernel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

USB KVM Switch causing X to crash with 2.6.27-11 Kernel

So this morning I installed the updates with the 2.6.27-11 kernel on my Lenovo T60 and this odd thing started happening...

I have a IOGear USB KVM switch that I use to switch between my T60 and a desktop system running Windows XP. After the update, when I switch away from the T60 then back X crashes, (returns to the login prompt). Not 100% of the time, but almost always. I'm looking for some info as to what might be going on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: USB KVM Switch causing X to crash with 2.6.27-11 Kernel

What model of IOGear KVM are you using.
    I'm using the GCS1204 (DVI). I haven't done a lot of switching since the new kernel came out, so it hasn't crashed yet.
    When I previously was using my monitor to switch (displayport), Ubuntu would shut off the display so it could not be turned back on if I switched away for too long. I think the GCS1204 fixed this because it pretends to be the monitor when you have switched the monitor to a different input.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I've got the 2-port Miniview switch.

It's not that the display blanks, X seems to crash/reset and I'm brought back to the login prompt, (like pressing Ctrl+Alt+Backsapce). Also, I have a dedicated monitor attached to the laptop, so it's only the USB that's being switched. And it only happens when I switch back to my laptop, switching away doesn't seem to be a problem, so my guess is something with the USB keyboard & mouse is where the problem is.

Beans

I am experiencing this exact same issue. Did anyone ever find a fix?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm seeing this same thing with a Starview KVM switch.

Sometimes I lose the mouse, sometimes the keyboard is lost, other times my Ubuntu system just resets to the login screen (losing all my work in the process). I can usually restore the lost keyboard/mouse by toggling the KVM switch a few times.

This appears to be a new bug with the 2.6.27.11 kernel. Everything was rock solid for me before the last kernel update. When I boot with the 2.6.27.9 kernel, everything appears to work normally.

I don't think there is a bug logged on this yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I'm guessing the problem is with USB... yesterday I was plugging in a USB presentation mouse and guess what? Yep, X crashed and I had to restart.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes, I would confirm the USB theory. My KVM switch only does USB for the mouse, keyboard and printer.

Anyone know how to log a kernel bug on this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I just reproduced this bug while running the 2.6.27-9 kernel, it might be something other than just the kernel version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Zenguy, by chance are you running the server kernel?

I had seen it with 2.6.27-9 when I had recompiled it with PAE... thought it was something I had done since I didn't see it happen with an unmodified kernel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No, I'm running a stock install of Intrepid Desktop 386. It's current with all updates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast