Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: - Windows inside Ubuntu - QUESTIONS

Beans
    Hidden!

Question - Windows inside Ubuntu - QUESTIONS

Everyonce in a while I come across a thread somewhere talking about installing Windows inside Linux of different sorts, and recently came across one for Ubuntu:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=39513

This is attractive for me, because I think the idea of running Windows inside of Ubuntu is very enticing! Also, while gaming is very possible under Ubuntu, I wonder if it would be easier to just install windows under Ubuntu and run games from there. I think I already have a Windows CD somewhere, compiling cedega failed (I will post this problem when I get home from work tonight), and I don't want to pay for transgaming.

But before I try this, I have a few questions for anyone who might already have tried, or anyone who has heard about this:
    Will Windows actually be running on X? Will Ubuntu still be active?
    --If so, what kind of performance do you get running 2 OS's at the same time?
    --If poor, is it a worthwhile solution to play games (high 3D-accel)?

Even if you don't tell me what I want to hear, I think I would do this anyway, for the fun of it, but please tell me anything at all you know about this topic. I will have more questions to follow I'm sure.

thanks folks

Beans

Re: - Windows inside Ubuntu - QUESTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by nalmeth
    Will Windows actually be running on X? Will Ubuntu still be active?
    Well Windows would render its graphics onto a SDL window mimicing a graphics card. It is just like mplayer when it is using SDL output.
    --If so, what kind of performance do you get running 2 OS's at the same time?
    Not very good
    --If poor, is it a worthwhile solution to play games (high 3D-accel)?
    Forget about 3d-accelerated games.
    Touting "community" as a strength of a distribution is the equivalent of stating that it has poor documentation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by tageiru
    Well Windows would render its graphics onto a SDL window mimicing a graphics card. It is just like mplayer when it is using SDL output.

Not very good

Forget about 3d-accelerated games.
    Thats exactly what i expected to hear, but not what i wanted to hear.

Beans
    Hidden!

me too unfortunatly..

any suggestions otherwise?

I don't want to reboot to play games..

If your idea is winex / cedega based, I will post my cedega problems in the gaming forum later tonight.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Haven't tried it, but VMWare has a free player... Methinks I'll test this out this week...

http://www.vmware.com/download/player/

EDIT: Never mind. You need the full version of VMWare for that.
    Last edited by Master Shake; December 19th, 2005 at 01:26 AM.
    "Who is THE DRIZZLE?"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Well, the performance in VMWare Windows is o.k., but not superior - it is not the thing you will want to use, if you play games, but it's very useful for development and testing.
    If you are more interested in games, I can recommend a membership option for Cedega, I was able to play Warcraft III and Frozen Throne with it, Warhammer 40 K worked halfway at that time. I guess, it's better now, I just do not have the time to play anymore (or if I manage to, I use GameCube or Xbox).
    If it's standard applications, try wine (free) or Crossover Plugin (commercial).

Best,
    ember

Beans
    Hidden!

Cool, thanks for replies.

If it means paying for cedega/transgaming, I will pass because I do have my xbox, fully decked out too. I actually had to use it as a computer for a while...

I think I may try Crossover, and I'm going to keep working on getting Cedega compiled.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I ran XP in XP with VMware and it was horrible. Ofcourse, even one XP doesent go well in 192MB RAM so...

I doubt you could play doom 3 or UT2004 at 1600*1200 resolution, but you should be able to get some older games running.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

If it means paying for cedega/transgaming, I will pass because I do have my xbox, fully decked out too. I actually had to use it as a computer for a while..
    Well - it's 5$ a month and you have to sign for only 3 months. That's about two drinks in a club (at least in Germany), plus you support a company that helps open source development (at least I think, things from cedega are getting back into winex after a while).
    So maybe you'll give a try.

Beans
    Hidden!

True enough man.
    It's not like I can't afford it. But look at it this way. I would rather spend hours to get it going for free. Hours in which I could be working and easily make up the cost (or spending it on a couple drinks). It's really about freedom. Why should I have to pay even minimally to run games that I have already paid for?
    I thought a major point about open-source was that if somebody made a product, released the code, and then charged you to use it, somebody else could take that code and make a free version. Granted, a project like cedega is huge, and requires lots of developers, and incidentally, money. It would be a huge undertaking for anyone to open it.

Sort of like a situation I had with a buddy whose computer he wanted to setup with ubuntu. The problem was that his USB Wireless adapter needed a driver that wasn't available freely. His only option was to pay a company (linuxiant) $20. He was not impressed, nor was I. Why should he have to pay again for a driver he has already paid for?
    BTW The driver on the CD did not work. I tried a program that was supposed to setup a windows wireless driver.

Well now his computer is sitting idle, because windows will not reinstall, and ubuntu is useless with no internet.
    Sorry, not useless, but you know what I mean.

Please don't take my words out of context, because these are basically isolated incidents. I do intend to compile cedega for free, and after I am impressed by their product, I may donate.

When I installed Ubuntu, it was under the idea that it will be totally free, and always free. I intend to stick to that and not pay a dime for more services.

PS
    I am planning to donate to many specific open-source outlets that have really earned my appreciation and respect. I am not just a cheap-skate
    Linux has saved me a lot of money, which I don't desperately need, and I will support the community.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast