Thread: "enter password for default keyring to unlock" this appears when open email applicati

Beans

"enter password for default keyring to unlock" this appears when open email applicati

"enter password for default keyring to unlock" this appears when open email application ? what to insert ? this when I tried connect wireless DSL ...

detailed :
    "Enter password for default keyring to unlock

The application 'evolution'(usr/bin/evolution) wants access to the default keyring , but it is locked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: "enter password for default keyring to unlock" this appears when open email appli

You should have set the key ring password. If you do not remember doing so, then you probably just entered you user or root password. Give those a shot. Basically what it does is just lock away all of your passwords in a file. When you enter the keyring password, the rest are automatically used... I think. I don't use a keyring.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: "enter password for default keyring to unlock" this appears when open email appli

Try this:
    1. System » Preferences » Encryption and Keyrings
    2. Look at the setting: "Location for application passwords". By default this setting will be 'login'.
    3. Select the corresponding Password Keyring from the list. By default this will be the 'login' keyring.
    4. Click 'Change unlock password' and make that the same as your login password.

That fixed it for me.
    May the FOSS be with you!

Beans

UNDER
    System » Preferences » Encryption and Keyrings
    I DO NOT SEE
    Look at the setting: "Location for application passwords" ANYWHERE ?

Beans

i use ubuntu 8.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Instead of going to the encryption settings you descrubed above go here:

Applications --> Accessories --> Password and Encryption Keys

In the "Password and Encryption Keys" manager, go to Edit --> Preferences to access and/or change to Login mode.
    Last edited by cjacobsen; February 2nd, 2009 at 11:30 PM.
    Ubuntu secuirty howto, and more @ cjacobsen.net

Beans

"to access and/or change to Login mode."
    describe this in more words ?

Beans

problem solved some...but now when check email with EVOLUTION 2.24.3, ask me always for email passwords and if i want to create a keyring , well how avoid both ?

Beans

now when check/send email ask me for my password and if i want keyring , may this get avoided and check / end email DIRECTLY ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lse123 View Post
    now when check/send email ask me for my password and if i want keyring , may this get avoided and check / end email DIRECTLY ?
    This is annoying for me also. Here is the solution:
    This will erase saved passwords, you will be able to make Evolution remember the passwords of your email accounts by marking the checkbox when the program asks, after what you have done below:

1-Open up your Home Folder by clicking Places>Home Folder
    2-click View>Show Hidden Files
    3-Find a folder called .gnome2
    4. In .gnome2 folder, there is another folder called keyrings.
    5. Delete all the files you find in the keyrings folder
    6. Restart the computer

After you restart, open Evolution, you will be asked for the password for your account, enter the password*, the annoying keyring manager will appear to handle the storage of that password to lock.Leave both boxes empty and click Create. The annoying second popup will ask "Store passwords unencrypted" Click Use Unsafe Storage. From here on all passwords you enter into your computer will not be behind a keyring password.
    (*If you have several email accounts you have to apply to each)