Thread: Descriptive Thread Titles in Absolute Beginner Talk

Calgary, Alberta
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Descriptive Thread Titles in Absolute Beginner Talk

I know this will be placed into Recurring Discussions.

This is (one of many) posts made in a thread that does not use a descriptive thread title in Absolute Beginner Talk:
    Quote Originally Posted by hyper_ch View Post
    It is advised to use a descriptive topic title, that means a topic title that gives some clue about the content in the thread itself...

A generic topic title like "noob here" or "need help" does not help at all. As you may have noticed, just about everyone posting in here has some kind of a problem or issue or question

And it is also adviced to use seperate threads for unrelated problems so that you can mark each one individually as solved.

Or in short terms: Help others to help you

See the forums policy, especially section II.2:

Also, when you are asked to post output from (config) files or from a command, use [code][/code] brackets around (each) output. That makes it also easier to read.
    And yet this thread (like every other non descriptive thread) now has multiple pages filled with answers. Thread titles that are descriptive (as per forum policy) often seem to be ignored.

I think that we should stop posting in these type of threads, because when we do, we reinforce the behaviour.

Why should anyone use a descriptive thread title other than "HELP ME!!!" or "I messed up!" when their threads get answered with more gusto than "No sound after suspend/hibernation" or "Kernel update - broken networking."?

I agree with hyper_ch (and a few others) posting this kind of information, but it does not solve the problem at all. People who are answered in these types of threads will continue to use non-descriptive titles because they get their answers.

This is a signature. It is original.

*eating something*
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Descriptive Thread Titles in Absolute Beginner Talk

I have heard of many users searching for help by topic title. Unfortunatly, if all the answers are hidden in topics with "Help!!!" or "n00b Here...", the search tool will not pick them up in title mode.
    |>[HowTo] Bump The BUMP Thread<||>Stats<||>19k<||>23k<||>26k<||>34k<||>37k<||>38k<||>39k<||>40k<|

Quote Originally Posted by lukjad007
    Backups are usually a good thing unless it's a sewer.

Re: Descriptive Thread Titles in Absolute Beginner Talk

My personal favorite is help me before I smash my computer.