Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooperative Bank (UK) and Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Cooperative Bank (UK) and Ubuntu

I received a letter this morning from the Cooperative Bank about a Card Reader I will be receiving for my Current Account.

A quick look at their web site reveals they only support Windows and Mac.

http://www.co-operativebank.co.uk/se...nternetBanking

I phoned their Technical Helpline and said I use Ubuntu can I still use the Card Reader. The gentleman said NO your operating system is not supported. I then said as an Ethical Bank I am horrified that you do not support open source software. The gentleman than changed tack and said unoffically it will work with Linux.

Anyone with a Cooperative Bank Account may like to ring the Technical Helpline to complain. If enough people complain they may support Linux.

As people in the UK are aware it is an Ethical Bank and is suppose to have Ethical Standards. As it is suppose to be an Ethical Bank this is not really acceptable.

Their Technical Helpline is 0870 600 0328. Their email address is ibis@co-operativebank.co.uk. You do NOT need your bank details etc to raise a technical query with them.

Helen
    Last edited by helliewm; January 29th, 2009 at 02:25 PM.
    My website www.thebigoptout.com Please support the Campaign
    IMPORTANT WARNING Do not run any command with rm in it unless you know exactly what you're doing. Read this for more information.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Cooperative Bank (UK) and Ubuntu

I would have thought they would support Linux since they are "Ethical". I doubt there are any technical limitations that cause the problem, it's just lazyness when Testing. Natwest used to block any browser apart from IE until they realised it works regardless.

Blame whoever implemented their System!.

Beans
    Distro

I would have thought they would support Linux since they are "Ethical". I doubt there are any technical limitations that cause the problem, it's just lazyness when Testing. Natwest used to block any browser apart from IE until they realised it works regardless.

Blame whoever implemented their System!.
    Yes that is what got me that they actively and agressively promote themselves as an Ethical Bank hence why it would be good if people could complain to them. At least Natwest do not promote themselves as an Ethical Bank.

As an Ethical Bank they should be supporting open source software.

Thinking about it anyone could complain you do not need to give bank details for a technical query at all.

Helen
    IMPORTANT WARNING Do not run any command with rm in it unless you know exactly what you're doing. Read this for more information.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Bob Dylan would be horrified.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Sho...vert_In_The_UK

The pump don't work cos the vandals took the handle.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Call me stupid, but I don't see how not actively supporting Linux is an "ethical" issue.

Beans

Both me and the missus use Smile.co.uk, which is a Co-Op company, and that's been fine in Linux. No problems to report at all.

Beans
    Distro

This is NOT about the Internet Banking web site its about the Card Reader they are introducing. This what I phoned them about the Card Reader NOT Internet Banking. As an Ethical Bank they should really be supporting open source alternatives.

Helen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Does the Card Reader actually plug into a PC with the Co-Op?

I was given a Card Reader by Natwest for use in Transfers etc. and I just input the Code the Reader gives me (It's just a handheld device with a Num Pad and Card Reader on it). I don't see why they'd even need you to connect it as that'd be more insecure if you think about it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by helliewm View Post
    This is NOT about the Internet Banking web site its about the Card Reader they are introducing. This what I phoned them about the Card Reader NOT Internet Banking. As an Ethical Bank they should really be supporting open source alternatives.

Helen
    The site says you don't have to plug it into a computer at all. Sorry if I've missed a trick, but I had no frame of reference with what you meant by them sending you a card reader. It's a physical item then? I thought it was a site application or something!

Beans
    Distro

oes the Card Reader actually plug into a PC with the Co-Op?

I was given a Card Reader by Natwest for use in Transfers etc. and I just input the Code the Reader gives me (It's just a handheld device with a Num Pad and Card Reader on it). I don't see why they'd even need you to connect it as that'd be more insecure if you think about it.
    Do not know waiting for it to arrive now. Was just horrified at the initial No it is not supported by your Ubuntu Oerating System! He then gulped when I challenged him over the bank being an ethical bank lol.

Will update when this contraption arrives!

It was just the initial letter this morning.

Helen

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast