Thread: Does my box leaking to the Internet?

Beans

Does my box leaking to the Internet?

As you login, if your internet connection is active but you are not browsing or doing anything, does it always show that other ip addresses seem to be connecting to you? Because I could see that using etherape who is capturing on any interfaces other ip addresses seems connecting to my box. And checking it using the command:
    Code:
    sudo netstat -pantu
    ..it shows havp/cupsd/nessusd: waiting/darkstat/avahi-daemon on a listening state... and also upon checking it on grc.com's Shield's Up using galeon browser...it shows ok... got a nonresolvable ip... then upon checking using the All Service Ports.. it showed a stealthed ports and I passed... but the thing is my modem is actively doing something... as well as etherape's graphical view Can somebody please help! I still don't know how to check this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Does my box leaking to the Internet?

Welcome to the internet.
    Why can't life have a sudo apt-get install -f command?
    Install VMWare Server 2 on a text-only system
    Need help getting your printer working in Linux?
    It's all about choice, right? Then stop flaming Windows users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If all ports are stealthed, it means nothing outside your network can connect to you. The other services are either listening to "localhost" only, or are accepting connections across your network, and are being protected by your broadband modem's firewall.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    ... are accepting connections across your network,
    Do you mean "accepting connections on my ISP's network or mine?

Are there any other way, maybe, using another application to check if I got open/close or hidden applications using some of my ports from within besides netstat?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Are there any other way, maybe, using another application to check if I got open/close or hidden applications using some of my ports from within besides netstat?
    You could install nmap to scan your computers/network.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install nmap
    Or,you could try Shieldsup for checking which ports you have open/closed/stealthed to the outside world.
    http://ubuntuclips.org/videos/4

For the lazy readers

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xpod View Post
    You could install nmap to scan your computers/network.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install nmap
    Or,you could try Shieldsup for checking which ports you have open/closed/stealthed to the outside world.
    Thanks, but I already have done that with Shiedsup. It looks fine though.

I'm going to read more about nmap and maybe try some of its commands.. I think I'm going to do a trial and error here. I'm sure netstat has limits to its capabilities to scan ports on localhost. Or, maybe I am just missing some points here in using netstat. What dyou think?

Beans

You should really be running netstat from another computer than the one you are scanning to see if it is really accessible.
    Disclaimer: I am currently suffering from severe CSD (Compulsive Sarcasm Disorder).
    My Site | Linux User #452328 | Running Arch Linux on Sony Vaio VGN-SZ61XN/C since October 2008