Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comcast and AT&T to partner up with RIAA and monitor illegal file-sharing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Comcast and AT&T to partner up with RIAA and monitor illegal file-sharing

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheC View Post
    This will ultimately only come back to bite them.

Savvy tech folk have very, very long memories, and activist tech folk have a fairly long reach.

I'm just waiting for the U.S. government to decide to nationalize the Internet infrastructure and ISPs along with it.
    ultimately though that doesn't matter because comcast is a monopoly in most areas. If I could have jumped ship when my previous cable provider made a deal with comcast I would have, but there's simply no other alternative where I live

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Luckily there's Verizon FiOS in my area :/
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shadylookin View Post

I imagine they're only doing this because they overstated the abilities of their network and want an excuse to get rid of customers that use a lot of bandwidth(they've already been caught throttling torrents).
    Not getting rid of customers, but rather reducing the bandwidth their using. A huge chunk of bandwidth is being chewed up by illegal download addicts that are downloading things 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I think this is a scare tactic to try, and control some of these people. Either way I don't give a crap seems to me the only ones affected by this are the ones breaking the law, and if they don't like the rules they can buy leases, and start their own isp
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I hope Comcast and AT&T users start illegally sharing one particular video file involving a cup and two girls...
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheC View Post
    I'm just waiting for the U.S. government to decide to nationalize the Internet infrastructure and ISPs along with it.
    That goes against the grain, in the land of privatisation.

They thus far don't even have national health.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    That goes against the grain, in the land of privatisation.

They thus far don't even have national health.
    Or nationalized anything for that matter. I'm 99% sure that 10 people control the prices of everything in the US
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans
    Hidden!

Which ISP was it that said "No" because they said that they should be the ones to get paid for monitoring their users and not the RIAA? Maybe it was Verizon...

Anyways, I can either choose AT&T or Washington Post in my area. Washington post is already in RIAA's bed anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I was going to try there U-verse but now it's rnc for me.
    Constant development is the law of life, and a man who always tries to maintain his dogmas in order to appear consistent drives himself into a false position - Mahatma Gandhi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12