Thread: VirtualBox Upgrade - Safe?

Beans

VirtualBox Upgrade - Safe?

Hi All,

I got a message saying I should upgrade my Vbox yesterday. I would like to upgrade as I would like to give Windows 7 a try. My question is, should I backup my virtual drive or will it upgrade without changing my current guest? If I should back it up, how would I go about doing that. I heard just backing up the .vdi is a no go. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

fishman78

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: VirtualBox Upgrade - Safe?

Hi. You shouldn't have any problem upgrading. I updated a half hour ago and it's running OpenSolaris 2008.11 flawlessly.
    NOT a morning person...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fishman78 View Post
    My question is, should I backup my virtual drive or will it upgrade without changing my current guest?
    It is always a very good idea to backup your data before upgrading. You can back up your VirtualBox directory using the following:
    Code:
    mkdir ~/Backup && cp -a ~/.VirtualBox ~/Backup
    You can find the backup of your VirtualBox settings and VDI in ~/Backup/.VirtualBox. If you want to back up to another location, leave off the "mkdir ~/Backup &&" part and replace "~/Backup" with full path to your preferred location, for example "/media/disk" or where ever you like.

Having said that, I've never actually NEEDED my backups after upgrading. I HAVE needed them after doing very STUPID things to my guest OS.
    Last edited by HotShotDJ; January 28th, 2009 at 11:30 PM.
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Moved this to the virtualization section. Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Backing up is always a good idea.

That said, I did an upgrade about a week ago or so and things went smoothly. This with the puel version of VB on Ubuntu 8.10, 32-bit.

Dedoimedo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I never saw a problem while upgrading but you should do a backup