Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Neatest way to post a txt attachment here?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Neatest way to post a txt attachment here?

Excuse me - this is just a dummy post.

I was trying inserting images & looked at 'preview post' where the image is way too big.

I want to see what it looks like when posted.

The end.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Acer Aspire TC-100-007: Multi boot W10 / 22.04 / 18.04 LTS: Canon TS705: Epson V200: also Asus 1015PED: W7 / 18.04 Lubuntu & Lenovo 5-15ARE05: W11 / Ubuntu 22.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hmmm...

The posted image is 23% bigger than the original, seen on the same screen.

Why would that be?

How to correct it (without jumping through too many hoops)?
    Acer Aspire TC-100-007: Multi boot W10 / 22.04 / 18.04 LTS: Canon TS705: Epson V200: also Asus 1015PED: W7 / 18.04 Lubuntu & Lenovo 5-15ARE05: W11 / Ubuntu 22.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Personally I prefer to see images as attachments - then I can look if I want and aren't forced to do so - and if I was unlucky enough to have dialup then I would be not happy about having to download images people put in threads.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by forestpixie View Post
    Personally I prefer to see images as attachments - then I can look if I want and aren't forced to do so - and if I was unlucky enough to have dialup then I would be not happy about having to download images people put in threads.
    Good point!

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Have you seen that sticky thread, 2CV67?
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1006656
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    Have you seen that sticky thread, 2CV67?
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1006656
    Yes, of course I have read the stickies but thanks for asking!
    In fact the contents of the 2 items on attaching & posting images are etched on my retina but I still have not fully understood & am not satisfied with my results yet.
    I would quite like to beat this subject to death, while we are here...

From the stickies:
    Aysiu's post 'How do I attach an image to my post?' covers basic attaching of your own images to a post.
    Images are limited in size, for example 19.5 KB for .bmp & 976.6 KB for .jpeg
    Images will appear attached to the bottom of the post, which you may or may not want.

LaRoza's post 'Posting Images on the Forum' covers more advanced stuff, like importing images from the web and uploading your own images bigger than the size limit shown.
    This involves uploading to a third-party hosting site & using thumbnails.
    Size not a problem.
    Images can be embedded in your text using the 'Insert Image' icon.
    In that post, the desktop image appears, full size, in the post, with an apparently redundant thumbnail at the bottom, taking up space & allowing you to get a full size copy, which you already have...
    The hosted image appears inset in the text, rather than as an attachment at the bottom...
    If you click on it, you go to the host site.

Going through third-party sites like imagehosting is a pain - I avoid that kind of site which keeps throwing up pop-ups & heaven knows what else.
    Several people here seemed convinced that you need to go via third-party host sites even to embed you own images in your text, but we found out on this thread that is not true.

I started this thread asking how to attach text files, but was easily convinced it was more efficient for readers if the text was inserted in the post rather than attached at the bottom.
    I thought, & still think, the same is often true for images, if they are illustrating a problem or illustrating a How-To.
    LaRoza's Official Guide Post more or less recommends inserting images in your text if you want to, but respected ForestPixie throws up a problem for dial-uppers I had not thought about & don't fully understand.
    What is the best guideline?

In posts #14 & #17, I managed to insert little (thumbnail?) images in the text, which you can click on if you want, to open bigger images.
    Without visiting hosting sites.
    I think that is the result I would often like to have.

In post #21 I did almost the same thing, but ended up with an oversize image inserted in the text & a redundant thumbnail at the bottom - certainly not a good result.

I think I know what I did differently & am re-testing, but nothing here is very obvious or clear!

So - further discussion, clarification & experimentation welcome!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

OK - I found out how to do it (not how I did it yesterday...).

Upload your image directly to the ubuntu site as usual (within size limits).

Put the cursor where you want the image.

Click on 'Attachments'

Click on the image you want to put there:
    2cv.png

...and there it is, as an embedded thumbnail you can click on to get a bigger image if you want.
    ...without going near an outside hosting site.

I think that is the result I wanted & it's very straightforward when you have found it & I think it should not upset dial-uppers.

But it isn't explained anywhere
    Last edited by 2CV67; February 14th, 2009 at 04:38 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by 2CV67 View Post
    But it isn't explained anywhere
    I did not know we could do it that was, learning new things everyday.
    I've edited the "Guide to Forum features" to link to your post. Now it is
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123