Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No sound after Update

Beans

No sound after Update

Well let me begin by saying thank you to everyone here in the forums as I have always been able to find the solution in the previous posts. However, now I am stumped.

This morning I was notified that updates were available, I reviewed the updates and noticed that many were to PulseAudio. I didn't think anything about it and went ahead and applied the updates. Upon completion it called for a reboot, which I did and now no sound. I checked all the standard things, lsmod shows the driver is loaded, aplay -l shows the card as available, volume is set to 100%, but still nothing. I have no idea where to turn on this one being it was working before the update.

Did anyone else get these updates today? Did you have problems as well?

Thanks for you help!
    -Tim

Beans

Re: No sound after Update

I have the same problem. My system has a built in Intel sound card and an added Creative labs Audigy 2 sound card. When I originally installed Kubuntu, I had a similar problem and the solution turned out to be installing "asoundconf-gtk", which allowed me to set the Audigy 2 as the default sound card. This time, no luck. I have checked and volume on all the PCM settings is on 100%

Max

Beans

THat is the same exact setup that I have. Intel on-board (disabled in bios) and snd_via82xx is blacklisted, and nothing. Dead silence. Not sure where to turn or what to do next.

- Tim

Beans

I did the same update and my sound is gone - My card is a Audigy 2 ZS and I have never had sound problems before. Something introduced in the last update had killed sound for this card. The kernel was updated as well in the latest series of updates. I will boot into the older kernel and let you know if I have sound.

Beans

I reverted to the previous kernel and my sound is back. The problem is with the kernel upgrade not the pulse audio upgrade.

Beans

That works for me to. So kernel 2.6.27-11 has sound issues.

Beans

Same thing. Rebooted with kernel 2.6.27-9 and my sound is back.

Thanks rigelstar.

Quote Originally Posted by rigelstar View Post
    I did the same update and my sound is gone - My card is a Audigy 2 ZS and I have never had sound problems before. Something introduced in the last update had killed sound for this card. The kernel was updated as well in the latest series of updates. I will boot into the older kernel and let you know if I have sound.
    I have the same card and the same problem. Guess I'll boot from the earlier kernel.

Beans

Atm I'm not inclined to upgrade the kernel (have audigy 2 Zs) though curiosity will probably get the better of me.

I noticed one line in the upgrade
    ALSA: emu10k1 - Add more invert_shared_spdif flag to Audigy models
    Possibly the output has been switched to spdif or the Audigy Analog/Digitial output Jack has switched. (On my card it needs to be on for sound.
    It can be found in the full alsamixer as Audigy A (00 is on) or in 'switches' (d. left click on speaker icon -> preferences and add the switch, then in 'switches' check or uncheck depending on audigy card

To get full alsamixer if not available
    to find card #, usually 0
    Code:
    cat /proc/asound/cards
    Code:
    alsamixer -c 0
    Last edited by mc4man; January 29th, 2009 at 05:42 AM. Reason: added volume control screen

Beans

After update this morning I had same problem. I used the directions on the following thread and upon reboot sound was restored. Don't know if it will be your solution also, it worked here though.

Did this first: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...eative+drivers

after this sound in rythmbox was scratchy. So I did this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...t=sound+issues
    Last edited by S0m3th1ngw13rd; January 28th, 2009 at 07:26 PM.
    Registered Linux User #486440

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast