Thread: Nautilus Extensions Don't Work

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

[Solved] Nautilus Extensions Don't Work

I installed three Nautilus extension: nautilus-actions, nautilus-gksu, and nautilus-wallpaper. However, when I bring up Nautilus and right click a file or folder, I don't see the expected new menu item. I restarted Ubuntu after I did the installation and it didn't seem to help. Is there some other menu item or preference that I need to set to trigger use of extensions.

Any help appreciated.
    Ralph
    Last edited by Ralph L; February 1st, 2009 at 02:22 AM.

Beans

Re: Nautilus Extensions Don't Work

nautilus-gksu should show up when r. clicking on a directory (folder) as "Open as Administrator"

The nautilus-actions you have to create or dl some premade ones. The configurer is in System -> preferences. For basic stuff very easy to do.

Will show you example of 'Open Dir. as Root (same as nautilus-gksu, works better from my perspective.

you'd open nautilus actions configuration and choose 'add'. See screen 1 for main set up, screen 2 for preferences. Your free to name, tooltip and use any icon as you wish.

Screen 3 shows a group of nautilus actions and your nautilus-gksu
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

mc4man
    Appreciate the response. Your illustrations will help with setup of Actions. However, I am still back at first base. Although I installed the three extension above (they show up as installed in Synaptic), and nautilus-sendto and nautilus-share were already installed in the Intrepid distribution, only Send To... and Sharing Options show up in a right click of a file/folder. Somehow Nautilus doesn't know I installed the other extensions.

Any ideas

Beans

The only obvious thing would be that nautilus extensions require a restart (Ctrl+Alt+backspace) or reboot to become 'active'.

Beans
    Distro

Problem was that I had installed one of the extensions, not through Synaptic, but downloading from a web site. It was apparently a bad extension and caused the others not to work. I uninstalled and reinstalled all the extensions via Synaptic and they worked except for nautilus-gksu, which insisted on bring up two windows where it was supposed to bring up one. I didn't really need that extension anyway.

Solved
    Ralph
    Last edited by Ralph L; February 1st, 2009 at 02:25 AM.

Beans

nautilus-gksu, which insisted on bring up two windows
    That's what I meant about preferring the nautilus-action 'open dir as root', it's a bit 'cleaner'