Thread: Raid over NFS Shares?

Beans

Raid over NFS Shares?

So let's hear how possible this might be. Is it possible to use mdadm with nfs multiple NFS drives? Rather using physical hard disks I would like to use NFS shares for raid.
    Regards,
    FL-ei-|X|-iu-S
    ][ My Blog ][

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Raid over NFS Shares?

Wouldn't you want to just implemnt a RAID array on the server that's hosting the nfs shares?
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

No, there will be multiple shares over several servers. There will be one server where all of the shares are then mounted.
    Regards,
    FL-ei-|X|-iu-S
    ][ My Blog ][

Beans

Yes, this is possible but not with NFS. This is a form of storage clustering but you'd get much better performance on a single host.

Use network block devices, nbd. Do some googling on network block devices in linux.

Don't ever put swap on an NBD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

A partition mirrored across multiple servers? Sounds like a server farm to me. I don't know how well it can be limited to a single partition rather than whole systems, but it's not a new idea. This is how the big web sites like Google or Amazon can handle millions of requests at a time -- when you connect to their servers, you're actually connecting to one of numerous identical servers. Data and services are mirrored across the entire server farm to handle a greater load.