Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how does fedora 10 compare to ubuntu 8.10?

Beans

how does fedora 10 compare to ubuntu 8.10?

im downloading the iso now and am wondering if it's worth installing over ubuntu or just running in a vm to test it

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: how does fedora 10 compare to ubuntu 8.10?

My 2 cents is to always run in a VM before you overwrite something you know you like.
    Registered Ubuntu User #6724

Beans

thanks i don't think i am fully ready to give up ubuntu 8.10 i just decided to download it on a whim when i was on campus where the internet connection is much faster than at home

Beans

Fedora and Ubuntu are slightly different animals.

Fedora is more for the higher end user as it sometimes needs some tweaking to get things just right (ie. multimedia codecs, closed-souce video drivers, etc). On the plus side, it tends to be more of a testing bed for newer OS enhancements.

You may want to test F10 in a VM first to see it in action before committing.

Beans

i tested it via live cd and i think i'll stick with ubuntu i'll miss synaptic and add/remove too much

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm on fedora 10 and love it. Albeit, it takes a bit to get used to when accustomed to Ubuntu, but after a while it feels comfy.

Beans

Apart from getting codecs to install which is not a problem once you add rpmfusion. I'd say that Fedora is much much lighter on resources than Ubuntu is.

Beans

Fedora just haves X.org,Ubuntu has xvesa and xorg.
    Fedora haves very small and ugly drivers,it doesn`t support most video hardware,Ubuntu has most video drivers.
    Fedora uses rpm`s wich are ugly,Ubuntu has strong deb`s.
    fedora has ugly gui,Ubuntu has shiny orange
    Fedora has huge and out-of-date updates,Ubuntu has small fixes in very small times.This makes it strong.
    Ubuntu has a lot of appsin installation,Fedora has just gnome-based apps like OpenSolaris.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyhacker View Post
    Fedora just haves X.org,Ubuntu has xvesa and xorg.
    Fedora haves very small and ugly drivers,it doesn`t support most video hardware,Ubuntu has most video drivers.
    Fedora uses rpm`s wich are ugly,Ubuntu has strong deb`s.
    fedora has ugly gui,Ubuntu has shiny orange
    Fedora has huge and out-of-date updates,Ubuntu has small fixes in very small times.This makes it strong.
    Ubuntu has a lot of appsin installation,Fedora has just gnome-based apps like OpenSolaris.
    Gee. Have you used Fedora for more than 5 minutes? I use it on a daily basis and it's my preferred Linux OS. It provides for me everything I need. Someone, in this thread, said that it's faster than Ubuntu. I find Ubuntu to be much faster than Fedora. Ubuntu is very nice and I find myself using it more and more but I'll always fall back on Fedora. It's just the way it is for me. A habit that's hard to break. I love Fedora and the community.
    Glenn