Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: how does fedora 10 compare to ubuntu 8.10?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: how does fedora 10 compare to ubuntu 8.10?

Quote Originally Posted by ibutho View Post
    For me yum is pretty fast and I don't have the problems that you mentioned. What may help is to install the yum-presto and yum-fastestmirror plugins. The yum-fastestmirror plugin helps yum choose a fast mirror for you (I think the default is to use local mirrors which may not be ideal if they are slow). The yum-presto plugin enables yum to use delta rpms for your updates. Delta rpms are much smaller than full rpms and therefore don't take as much time to download.

I also think that comparing yum and apt-get in the context above is wrong. Fedora updates their OS regularly when compared to Ubuntu, so they usually have more updates in their repositories. Personally I don't see much difference in using dpkg with apt and rpm with yum (or any other rpm frontend). With most modern distros, once you get to know your way around a distribution and delve deep into the packaging tools, you will find that they are more or less the same.
    thanks man! you gave me a reason to play around fedora 10 longer! thanks, got to try this out...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bigbrovar View Post
    I tried Fedora 10 recently for about a week.. would be the longest time i would install a non debian based disro on my personal laptop.. in many ways i prefered it to ubuntu .. for one it detected all my hardwares (which isn't saying much because i use mainly intel based hardware since the system came preinstalled with ubuntu) even then Ibex didnt detect my webcam, and thinkfinger in the repo didnt all dont work .. i had to do alot of extra work to get things that just worked on hardy heron to work on ibex .. ibex really effd up .. broke lots of hardware compatibility. but what broke the camel's back was Pulse Audio.. on fedora i never had this problems .. webcam,pulse Audio,thinfinger .. all worked without extra tweak than what was necessary for setup.. the over desktop experience was awesome.. the artwork, is top notch.. but the one thing that i couldn't leave with was package management which was a big let down IMHO.. yum wasn't just as good as apt-get .. packagekit was damn too slow.. it would take forever to update.. and it was very buggy.. i really missed synaptic which is years ahead of packagekit .. i even installed yumex but even that would hang for long hours.. in the end .. packaging made the decision for me.. and right now ..(just this morning) am back to ibex .. it was a hard decision .. if only the packaging could have been better .. if only
    I think my post above would apply to you as well. The problem is not yum, but the mirrors from which packages are being pulled. Install the yum-fastestmirror and yum-presto plugins and yums performance should be better. YUMEX is not really great IMHO and I've also found it to be buggy at times so I just use yum int he CLI or the Add/Remove Programs application. YUMEXs slowness could be a result of yum using slow mirrors.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by deuphil.kaufmann View Post
    been trying fedora 10 since yesterday, and i got to say,,,yum is slow (well, not specifically yum, but its download mirrors)...got me to download 400mb of updates for 5hrs! compared to using ubuntu + apt-get within just an hour...

still i'm planning to stick around fedora, i mean, you will still learn something, right?

also another option is to just install all my application in fedora thru tarballs, but i think it will be the last option... =P
    I do not experience these issues at all and Packagekit works as good or better than apt does on my many Ubuntu machines. I am in the USA however, and so the mirrors I use are probably close and much faster than someone trying to access them from say.. India, Sri Lanka, or the Middle East on a slow Internet connection..

Beans

I've always found YUM to be very stable and rather snappy. Although I prefer RPMs to DEBs I just hate the way that apt takes ages reading the database every time. My favourite package manager has got to be pkgtools though, I've not had anything which installs Software faster than that.

Beans
    Hidden!

well, i'm not saying that yum specifically is the problem, what i think is the mirrors, which in my case, i from asia...as you said, maybe its because all the servers are in the u.s.

and also, its true that it doen't matter which package management you use..just been using yum for the first couple of minutes, and it feels already like apt-get, only that the speed from my setup, is not as fast...

i have no regrets really in installing fedora, but hopefully in the future, red hat will include these plugins mentioned above, by default already..compared to ubuntu that is already out-of-the-box...

Beans

I experience the same issues with Fedora repository mirrors since I, too, live in Asia.

Funny this is, there is a very fast mirror in Singapore but it has problems maintaining a connection - 200KB/s throughput but frequent time-outs. Taiwan mirros are dog slow for some reason. My recent installation took over 8 hours to download 600MB of updates... ouch.

Fastest-mirror doesn't work for me; the low ping servers have poor throughput to my computer. Yum-presto helps, but again, most all the presto-enabled mirrors are in Europe and N. America.

Ubuntu repo mirrors, on the other hand, are super quick from the same locations (Singapore & Taiwan).

Beans
    Hidden!

obviously, its really the mirrors that makes yum in fedora slow...using yum under openSuse is much faster compared to yum in fedora...

Beans
    Hidden!

also returning to the context of the thread...

i tried fedora because:
    - the artwork is great
    - rpm-based, wanted to try them
    - obviously, to compare fedora to other distros out there

...also i see in fedora that its more organized in a way more than ubuntu, ubuntu is rather straight forward...

Beans

hmmm could be the slow mirror because if i run it from the cli it just keeps timing out before it eventually pulls the download.. anyway am back to ibex and i really miss fedora 10 .. another thing i didnt like about yum was that i could find a why to remove unneeded dependencies .. like an apt-get autoremove .. that was a bigg downner for me .. i installed vala which pulled couple of dependencies .. when i yum remove vala only vala was removed the other dependencies werent ..
    servant of the secret fire, wielder of the flame of Anor!

Blog identica twitter lastfm

Beans

Erhm...
    Code:
    yum install yum-remove-with-leaves
    You crazy kids. I already covered that step in my nifty ubuntu to fedora conversion guide. It's not very complete, but it's enough to get you going.
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=996935
    - "though It seems that I know that I know, what I would like to see Is the I that sees me, when I know that I know that I know" / Alan Watts

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast