Thread: Stuck on install Help if please if possible

Beans

Stuck on install Help if please if possible

Hi pretty new to this so here goes ahve installed ubuntu 8.10 onto a new acer m1641 desktop with a 650 gig hd and 4gig ram and totaly wiped the old vista system and any preinstalled acer rubbish with it.
    whent thro the installation and had to choose no apic via f6 on start of the installation as i got a report saying no local apic detected try using dummy apic emulation etc, so did that and away it went. got alittle muddled on the partition and the next thing i know is have ubuntu asking me to remove the disc and restart.bios b
    On restart i then get the same report: mp bios bug:8254 timer not connectedto ioapic.
    Kernal panic not syncing: i0timer doesnt work boot with apic=debug and send report then try rebooting with noapic option.
    I have installed on ubuntu 8.10 on an old compaq pressario over xp proff and no probs thought i was doing ok but it seems not, just as i thought i could get rid of M$.
    have tried my factory recovery disks and they will not recover so i am presuming ive knckerd the bootsystem.
    Any help out there before it goes out the window!!
    Last edited by firepin; January 26th, 2009 at 10:57 PM.

Beans

Re: Stuck on install Help if please if possible

Well for starters most factory 'recovery' disk are great dog chew toys, Frisbees, cheap microwave firework show/avangarde art pieces.
    Secondly, if you are going to throw that away, please mail it to me instead.
    Lastly, could you please post more details such as the actual errors?

Beans

Hi Arcesso thanks for the response had to use supergrub disc to redo the windows MBR and do a factory reinstall back to the acer rubbish, at least i can restart the ubuntu installation and try again at a later date, will stick to using my old pressario with Ubuntu allready installed and spend a little more time getting to know the system before i go thrashing around again, a lesson well learned.
    KInd regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

boot ubuntu as a live cd - no f6's, nothing.

if all works well, install without any extra settings - it only complicates matters.

hope it works out well
    "Knowledge is freedom: one cannot charge money for what is common property" - Socrates

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

"try rebooting with noapic option"

Did you try this?