Page 1 of 73 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Beginners Guide

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Free Beginners Guide

Keir Thomas, author of Ubuntu Kung Fu, has release a free pocket guide to Ubuntu. This 170 page great beginners guide to installing and using Ubuntu.

This guide can be found at http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/.

Digg It
    Mike: "The hardest questions in life are the ones worth answering"

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Free Beginners Guide

Thanks Technoviking! Since the thanks feature is disabled for now:

I'll download it as soon as I can.
    Another round of Ubuntu for my friends here!
    Fighting to bring Pink back to The Pink Ponies archive.
    DELETE INSANITY!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you for the sticky post and link. I've just downloaded and about to go and peruse it, looks like just the type of thing I've been searching for all over the place.
    People who never make mistakes are people who never make anything
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit,wisdom is knowing you don't put tomato in fruit salad
    New to Ubuntu? Check out this pocket guide and why not go Full Circle or take Command

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ditto! I'm trying to get a bunch of old machines up and running for folks without money to buy new computers, old imacs, compaqs, etc... This is just the help I need. Thank you.

cal!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thumbs up Re: Donating Old PC's

Quote Originally Posted by twodogsdad View Post
    Ditto! I'm trying to get a bunch of old machines up and running for folks without money to buy new computers, old imacs, compaqs, etc... This is just the help I need. Thank you.

cal!
    Hi TwoDogsDad,
    I'm pretty green to Unbuntu, just now joined the forum & downloaded the beginner's guide. I'm looking to do what you seem to be doing - donate an old PC system to a needy family.
    I was about to use a security program to erase my data, but I must also remove the Microsoft Windows XP operating system program due to licensing agreements through my employer. I'm afraid that if I use the security software to "erase the whole computer" that I won't be able to install Unbuntu - the instructions say I won't be able to reboot, apparently since the OS will be removed.
    Can you tell me how to proceed? I don't have a lot of time to expend on this. Can I install Unbuntu, then remove windows XP? I've never tried to install OS software on a totally 'wiped' pc, and the idea scares me - don't want to screw it up so the machine is worthless!
    Thanks in advance for anything you (or others!) can tell me.

Beans

erruffing, just install ubuntu and re-partition the hard disk to a root and a swap, and check the "format" box. it will all be wiped clean.

Beans

what things do you considered in an old computer? maybe i am far away from you (ecuador) but i have in my mind the same question but i dont know which old computers are good

Quote Originally Posted by twodogsdad View Post

cal!

Beans

thnx for the pdf... great work.

Beans

You anywhere around Central Florida? If so, I've got some stuff you might want.

Beans

just installed Ubuntu last weekend and was seeking a beginners guide, thanks!

Page 1 of 73 1231151 ... LastLast