Thread: Program Request: 'yakuake' alternative

Beans
    Hidden!

Program Request: 'yakuake' alternative

in the Universe repos lies a usefull program called Yakuake - it is a pop-down terminal similar to those found in Quake and Doom.

with my very limited scripting experience, i've run into several brick walls trying to make an alternative. Although i'm not a coder, it seems that it should be a relatively simple task, possibly just a compilation of Alltray, devilspie, and a bit of clever working with minimizing and re-opening windows (my brick wall).

anyone know how to make something like that? (animations, etc like those in Yakuake are pointless, btw)

thanks,
    Ben
    So... a 1337 java programmer walks into a bar...

Beans

Re: Program Request: 'yakuake' alternative

Quote Originally Posted by benplaut
    in the Universe repos lies a usefull program called Yakuake - it is a pop-down terminal similar to those found in Quake and Doom.

with my very limited scripting experience, i've run into several brick walls trying to make an alternative. Although i'm not a coder, it seems that it should be a relatively simple task, possibly just a compilation of Alltray, devilspie, and a bit of clever working with minimizing and re-opening windows (my brick wall).

anyone know how to make something like that? (animations, etc like those in Yakuake are pointless, btw)

thanks,
    Ben
    I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are trying to do. You didn't really expalin why you are making an alternative, and I am not exactly sure from the Yakuake home page what differentiates it from other terminal emulators.

Beans
    Hidden!

pretty much, how would i have a program open, then minimize (not showing on the tasklist or pager), on a key command, using to command to toggle the visibility.

i'm not really sure if it's easily possible, but i'm hoping
    So... a 1337 java programmer walks into a bar...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by benplaut
    pretty much, how would i have a program open, then minimize (not showing on the tasklist or pager), on a key command, using to command to toggle the visibility.

I'm not really sure if it's easily possible, but i'm hoping
    Well, in KDE, you can use the "dcop" command line utility to control the behavior of different KDE apps via shell scripts, so you could use KHotKeys to link a key command to a script that alternatively minimizes and hides a program, then maximizes and shows it. You can play around with the "kdcop" GUI to get a feel of what you can do with it.

Not sure if that is the kind of thing you are looking for...