Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: what can osx do that ubuntu can't?

Beans

Re: what can osx do that ubuntu can't?

Quote Originally Posted by Mason Whitaker View Post
    I'm sorry, have you even have a server of your own?..and have you personally compared the two?
    Yeah, I have tried a few servers with the two, and OS X handles e-mail connections better. It also has superior support for the processors in my Mac Pro that I use as a home server... I get much better CPU usage stats.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by aceinthenight View Post
    Yeah, I have tried a few servers with the two, and OS X handles e-mail connections better. It also has superior support for the processors in my Mac Pro that I use as a home server... I get much better CPU usage stats.
    Really? Because in my experience an Ubuntu Server ran much faster on my Mac Mini than it did running Mac OS X Server :S
    > Intel® Pentium® Dual Core T3200 2.0GHz | Running Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex
    > Currently learning the ins and outs of Ubuntu Server
    > The difference between Windows and a virus? Viruses rarely fail...

Beans

Well I think it depends on what you are doing, and with the Mac Mini, it could make more of a difference. Ubuntu, and Linux in general, is not optimized for more powerful computers, but tends ot do better on a Mac Mini, in your case. I've noticed that across all Operating systems; linux does better on lower end systems, while OS X can't be beat on higher end systems.

Also, was it Tiger that you ran?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheC View Post
    It's really not a matter of what either OS can do that the other one can't so much as what apps exist on which platform, and which ones are more functional and/or feature-laden.

From everything I've heard, I would never run a Mac OS X-based server, but it's not a bad desktop OS.
    +1

You don't use the OS, you use the applications that run upon it. As for the server, it's more suited toward small environments compared to a large one. I have a XServe as a web server and a seperate blade running as a domain controller to the other Windows/Linux/Unix/Mac clients.

Beans

Linux has been the most popular OS on Supercomputers since 2004.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    Linux has been the most popular OS on Supercomputers since 2004.
    Aye. It's cheap, fast, scalable, and fully configurable. I don't see why you wouldn't like it for crunching a few numbers here and there.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    Aye. It's cheap, fast, scalable, and fully configurable. I don't see why you wouldn't like it for crunching a few numbers here and there.
    It will certainly be my first choice when I get my next supercomputer.

Or decide to buy 3 PS/3's & build a cluster.

Beans
    Hidden!

It will certainly be my first choice when I get my next supercomputer.

Or decide to buy 3 PS/3's & build a cluster.
    http://us.fixstars.com/products/sony/ps3.shtml

Beans

Yes, I've seen that site & some info' on the famous professor who built the PS/3 cluster.

It's a shame Sony don't build a PS/3 with at least the provision to add more RAM. Just one RAM slot would make a lot of people very happy.

Obviously not enough sales in it to make it worthwhile, from Sony's perspective.

Beans

Yes, I've seen that site & some info' on the famous professor who built the PS/3 cluster.

It's a shame Sony don't build a PS/3 with at least the provision to add more RAM. Just one RAM slot would make a lot of people very happy.

Obviously not enough sales in it to make it worthwhile, from Sony's perspective.
    But we know they could use any extra revenue... they are losing so much on the PS3. Good thing it is powerful enough to last a long time, time for prices to come down, and time for game developers to make games that came take advantage of it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast