Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: what can osx do that ubuntu can't?

Beans

Re: what can osx do that ubuntu can't?

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeCrate View Post
    I agree with you, and I certainly wasn't looking for an argument on the matter. As I said in my first post in this thread, I was sure there probably was software that would only run on a Mac, and that there was no Linux alternative, but I couldn't think of any. I was curious if others had any examples of Mac only software without a Linux alternative.
    My apologies if my reply was too strong, I was attempting to be clear & concise.

I still can't think of any (Rosegarden is a Linux alternative to Sibelius)
    Rosegarden, as good an application that it is, does not fill the shoes of Sibelius when it comes to score editing/arranging. Perhaps Rosegarden is stronger on the sequencing side.

but I do agree with you, that Linux development on some programs lags far behind some proprietary software (Dreamweaver is the example that immediately jumps to my mind), and that the proprietary software is the best choice to use. But, Linux alternatives do exist, and development continues...
    I agree. I am also continually astounded at the speed of development within the FOSS environment, we often consider things to be moving slow from our personal perspective, but if we can step back & observe, things look quite different.

The question posed by the OP, was, is an Apple OS worth the money against Linux, and I personally say no, but, as I also commented on, the overall package that Apple puts in the marketplace, hardware and software, is pretty hard to beat for a proprietary system.
    It is such a tricky question, it is often asked in different ways in this forum; it unfortunately brings subjective biases head to head where they so often abrade one another. Which is often amusing, rarely ever educational, sometimes quite sad & usually boring.

To your above question I would answer that I have advised past customers of mine who could afford it to buy a Mac, so they could escape the unreliability & security issues involved with the windows OS's. Everyone of them has been very happy with the change, & all of them are 3 years plus on their Macs, none use anti-virus software, none have had security issues, all are on their initial install & everything is going perfectly well on their machines last I heard.

Yes, those people paid more than they would have for a similar spec'd windows machine, but, they have not had ANY maintenance costs, or security issues. I think that, that, more than covers the cost difference for a windows to Mac conversion, most especially for people that don't maintain there own computers.

I know, the above did not answer the question you posed.

As far as whether it is worth buying a Mac as opposed to the PC/Linux combination is concerned? I would say that there are some ifs involved here:

If you are happy to use Linux? (Which is basically harder to learn & use than OSX & generally requires maintenance that OSX does not. This if, does have a few other nested ifs incorporated in it too.)

If you can do everything you need/desire to do on a Linux distro & the software available for it?

If the above ifs are ok with the user then I would say that generally a Mac is not the most economical solution.

If the above ifs are not ok with the user, I think that a Mac could very well be the most economical solution over the longer term.

For people that just want to use their computer & not be concerned about how it works, the Mac's with OSX really do make life very easy for them, imho.
    Last edited by handy; January 27th, 2009 at 01:17 PM.

Beans

Honestly, I can't think of anything that a Mac can do, that Ubuntu can't. I'm sure there probably is, but I just can't think of anything...

That being said, Apple is a fine company, with great support, and you couldn't have gone wrong with buying the setup you did. Beautifully designed computers and peripherals.
    Goodness the ignorance of OS X is incredible in this thread.

When it comes to music production, OS X has built in programs that surpass anything music production you can do on any Linux.

The same goes for movie editing, photo management/maniupulation, webcam, calendar, music playback, and built-in utilities.

OS X is also Unix compatible, making it the best choice for scientist.

Virtualization is also better in OS X.

Color management is also much better, its simply the best.

It's also much faster, and once Snow Leopard comes out, OS X will handily beat every other OS when it comes to speed.

I've never been able to get Ubuntu to open 50+ programs out once, it always manages to get really slow, then freezes completely. OS X however, I am able to open every CS4 app, ever Office2008 app, every iWork, iLife, and every other app on it at the same time and still run it perfectly smooth, without hiccup. I even played UT2004 the other day on OS X while running 50+ apps... it was amazing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aceinthenight View Post
    Goodness the ignorance of OS X is incredible in this thread.
    Yes, though I have owned Apple products since the year 2000, (apart from a Mac+ I owned briefly in 1990, which died of boredom ) I must admit that I too really don't know OSX all that well.

The 15" Powerbook that I bought early in 2000, caused me to quite quickly become bored with it, so I gave it to my wife, who still uses it in her business as a private music teacher, where it works for her quite well (upgraded to Leopard these days).

The 2 x 24" iMacs that we own are put to quite different uses:

My wife, again focused on her music enjoys the large screen, Sibelius & the other software she uses (naturally all available under windows), she also uses Firefox for research.

The benefits that she has experienced after moving from windows XP to using the Apple products are mainly due to the inherent system security with the bonus of simpler software installation.

As far as the comparison of the well known slow down that increases over time since installation caused on windows mainly by the registry & to a lesser extent by file fragmentation; we have found that due to the enormous number of music scores that my wife has stored on her iMac, it has also got slower & slower, it is also very slow to boot. I regularly run Diskwarrior over the disk, but it has not helped this problem?

We have also found that using an external HDD, controlled by the inbuilt backup software of OSX, slows the boot process down even more, so rather than just having it turned on all of the time, my wife manually turns it on when it suits her.

Whereas I, again, quickly bored by OSX, thoroughly enjoy running Arch/Xfce on my iMac, where I enjoy the open simplicity, the speed benefits, & the ability to install & customise everything to suit myself.

Unfortunately I have found the inability to modify much of the Leopard front end to be one of the real drawbacks of OSX. The other thing, (which is a drawback I was obviously prepared to accept prior to purchase) is the fact that iMac's are even worse than most notebooks when it comes to user access to hardware. With most notebooks it is quite simple for the owner to upgrade the RAM & HDD. With the iMac, anything beyond RAM access requires the user to brave the removal of the magnetically attached glass screen & to then carefully delve into the depths to access the HDD, optical drive, fans, or in my case the need to repair a faulty audio-out plug.

Some notebooks are built with the ability to upgrade the GPU, it sure would have been nice if Apple had of incorporated that ability into their notebooks & iMacs.

I enjoy my iMac, it serves its purpose & is very space efficient, which is the prime reason why I own it. My iMac is primarily used in my office for web access/reference for computer based projects that I can perform on more open hardware & software, these projects I find to be far more interesting than the closed Apple hardware & OSX. At least it is possible to install Arch/Xfce on the iMac, which has allowed me to express myself in what I find to be an otherwise sterile environment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

It's also much faster, and once Snow Leopard comes out, OS X will handily beat every other OS when it comes to speed.
    I installed the developer beta, and there wasn't any noticeable speed difference between it and Leopard 10.5.6

I personally like Mac OS X for its stability, the fact that its built upon BSD, and just its world class user interface.

For me, I can narrow down all of my computer-likes to everything based on Unix XD
    Last edited by Mason Whitaker; January 28th, 2009 at 04:15 AM.
    > Intel® Pentium® Dual Core T3200 2.0GHz | Running Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex
    > Currently learning the ins and outs of Ubuntu Server
    > The difference between Windows and a virus? Viruses rarely fail...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mason Whitaker View Post
    I installed the developer beta, and there wasn't any noticeable speed difference between it and Leopard 10.5.6

I personally like Mac OS X for its stability, the fact that its built upon BSD, and just its world class user interface.

For me, I can narrow down all of my computer-likes to everything based on Unix XD
    Oh really, I sure did. It was quite impressive, especially with CS4 apps.

Beans
    Hidden!

It's really not a matter of what either OS can do that the other one can't so much as what apps exist on which platform, and which ones are more functional and/or feature-laden.

From everything I've heard, I would never run a Mac OS X-based server, but it's not a bad desktop OS.
    Have you ever found something in the second-to-last place you looked?
    If it seems like I am ignoring you, perhaps I am.
    world:~ mike$ rm -f /earth/united_states/washington/redmond/M$ █

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheC View Post
    It's really not a matter of what either OS can do that the other one can't so much as what apps exist on which platform, and which ones are more functional and/or feature-laden.

From everything I've heard, I would never run a Mac OS X-based server, but it's not a bad desktop OS.
    What's really funny is it is an amazing server OS. Full Unix compatibility, and it is BSD?

Every credit authorization in this country runs through a massive xserve farm in California. I think that its good, and very secure, and very reliable, it they were willing to sink that kind of money into that.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheC View Post
    The server isn't that bad, its just that Linux is a better and cheaper alternative

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mason Whitaker View Post
    The server isn't that bad, its just that Linux is a better and cheaper alternative
    It's cheaper, but better? I don't think so...

Beans
    Distro

It's cheaper, but better? I don't think so...
    I'm sorry, have you even have a server of your own?..and have you personally compared the two?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast