Thread: PS3 Controller Problem

Beans

PS3 Controller Problem

I occasionally use my PS3 controller (plugged in a USB port) to play some games. However, when I unplug my controller it sends a signal to my PS3 and turns it on. Does anyone know how to get rid of this behavior?

Beans

Re: PS3 Controller Problem

Yea it's weird, I just unplug the PS3.

Beans

LOL maybe it wants to play?

Seriously though, I've been thinking of getting a PS3 controller for the PC because I'm going to get a PS3 later anyhow, but I want to use it over bluetooth so I can sit in front of the tv and play on screen1 (tv-out).

Anyone tried that?

Beans

It is possible to pair it over bluetooth, but doing so removes the pairing with the PS3 itself (I think). So I would rather just plug it in whenever I need it for my laptop.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pmaconi View Post
    It is possible to pair it over bluetooth, but doing so removes the pairing with the PS3 itself (I think). So I would rather just plug it in whenever I need it for my laptop.
    I'm pretty sure simply plugging it in to the PS3 with a USB cable re-pairs it without going through the menus and stuff. That's what I did at my friend's house and it worked.
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans

Thanks for the info!

Approximately how long is the USB cable for the controller? Does it come with the controller or did you buy separate USB cables?

Another question: Does the dualshock controller from Sony have sixaxis?
    Last edited by graabein; January 29th, 2009 at 10:10 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by graabein View Post
    Thanks for the info!

Approximately how long is the USB cable for the controller? Does it come with the controller or did you buy separate USB cables?

Another question: Does the dualshock controller from Sony have sixaxis?
    1. It's a standard Mini USB cable. It came with the PS3, but I don't know if it comes with individual conrollers, but you probably have one lying around somewhere anyways.

2. Yes.
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

i assume you play on emulators on ubuntu w/ ur ps3 controller, did u have to install any drivers to get it to work, or was it all plug n play?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

LOL maybe it wants to play?

Seriously though, I've been thinking of getting a PS3 controller for the PC because I'm going to get a PS3 later anyhow, but I want to use it over bluetooth so I can sit in front of the tv and play on screen1 (tv-out).

Anyone tried that?
    Haha, Yea, It's a blast, you should get a PS3!

Beans

I've been thinking of getting a PS3 controller for the PC because I'm going to get a PS3 later anyhow, but I want to use it over bluetooth so I can sit in front of the tv and play on screen1 (tv-out).

Anyone tried that?
    I actually am writing a program just for that. It lets you use your PS3 joystick in both USB and bluetooth mode, and use it as Keyboard/Mouse.

check:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=973112