Thread: Question on DeVeDe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question on DeVeDe

I am a newb at using DeVeDe, so bear with me please.

I have 13 episodes of a TV show (.avi) that I want to make into a DVD. All of the epsiodes total 2.2Gigs. When I go to use DeVeDe to create the disc with all of the episodes, it shows like 264% disc usage. Why is that? Is it because when it converts the video it is making the files much larger, hence less of them can actually fit on the disc? Or it that how DeVeDe shows it and the final .iso I create will still fit on a DVD.

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Question on DeVeDe

Hi there,
    I used the most recent version of DEVEDE and theres an option which says 'adjust disc usage' which usually makes the disc usage 99% .(one of my projects was about 4 GB and it still worked). Don't forget that how you add the pieces in affects how it plays back i.e. does it return to menu or play the next clip in sequence.
    Learn the principle, abide by the principle, and dissolve the principle. Obey the principle without being bound by it. This my friend, is the GnuFu.
    Geeks die, but the Linux kernel lives forever.

Beans

DeVeDe always seems to over estimate the size of space required. Your example may even fit on to the dvd but as the poster above said, there is an option to adjust the disk usage.

Beans
    Distro

The only thing I added from the default was a background image for the Main (Title) Screen upon loading. I will check out the disc usage option and report back. Thanks

Beans

Something else that just occurred to me, seeing as you said you were new to DeVeDe.

There is an option to use multi core processors if you have one. It will cut the encoding time considerably.

Beans
    Distro

Yes Choosing multiple cpu option speeds it up a lot.
    The file size estimate is to do with the format. If you convert an avi to DVD the file size estimate goes up a lot. As I understand it it's because the bitrate changes after you convert.
    It's the size of the resulting iso that matters as thats what you will burn. In a situation of a really large output you could split it on two discs but I like it all on one disc if possible. Dual layer discs hold more but they cost way more than standard ones.
    Learn the principle, abide by the principle, and dissolve the principle. Obey the principle without being bound by it. This my friend, is the GnuFu.
    Geeks die, but the Linux kernel lives forever.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks guys, the "adjust disc usage" worked fine. No problems.

Now I just have to monkey with giving each episode a clickable option in the main menu. The way I constructed the disc only gives me one clickable field (all contents of the disc) and I would have to skip through each episode to get to the next one.

Update- Just figured out how to make each episode it's own clickable entry (along with making a new episode start after the previous one ends). It's a bit ugly, but works. Is there another program that does what DeVeDe does (and as well) but just makes "prettier" menus? Someone mentioned DVDStyler to me, wasn't sure though.

Thanks again guys!
    Last edited by NewJack; January 26th, 2009 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Update