Thread: Save Options, File > Save As... > Why Not To Network?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Save Options, File > Save As... > Why Not To Network?

Is there a way to go to File > Save As... > and choose a network drive?

Or can I only save to my local disk?

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Save Options, File > Save As... > Why Not To Network?

Saving across the network works fine. I am guessing here, but I suspect you are trying to save to a Windows share, and your frustration is that the share doesn't show up in the Save As dialog box (and Network isn't there either).

Try adding a bookmark for your Windows share.
    1. Choose Places > Connect to Server from the main menu bar.
    2. Change Service type to Windows share.
    3. Enter appropriate information in the Server, Share, and User Name boxes. You can leave the others blank.
    4. Enable the Add Bookmark checkbox and supply a suitable bookmark name. The bookmark name is whatever you want to show up in the bookmarks list...for example, "Public files" or something similar.
    5. Click Connect.
    6. Provide the name of your workgroup and your password for the Windows share you are accessing.

Now when you choose Save As from your application, you will see your bookmark in the left-hand panel. Just click on that.

EDIT: I seem to recall being able to press Ctrl+L in a Save As dialog and type paths directly. I wonder why this functionality disappeared. It was useful.
    Last edited by wylfing; January 25th, 2009 at 05:19 PM. Reason: One more observation.
    I could not fail to disagree with you less.