Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: HOWTO: Compiling mplayer with multi-core decoding support

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO: Compiling mplayer with multi-core decoding support

I am sorry, I don't know what the problem is. But the first thing that comes to mind is your distro.

Please don't compare Windows, investing billions of dollars into a hassle free user experience, with Ubuntu, volunteers and charity.

Remember you're running Ubuntu, one of the most cutting edge unstable desktop distributions. And you're not even running LTS, you're running the in-between releases which can be considered bleeding edge beta at best. 11.04 is rubbish. Much complaints over media related applications. I've seen VLC (media player) break in this installation and there have been reported driver issues.

Fixing issues goes in this order, I think you missed step 2.

1) You can do it yourself
    2) You need to stick to LTS
    3) Ask for help
    4) Change distro

Just my 4 cents, based on all the troubles I've seen with 11.04. Remember, it took me 3 lines of terminal code (earlier in this thread) to get this working without the need for extra command line options or whatever, in 10.04 LTS.
    📻 Amp.lol. No bloat, just radio. 🤘

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Compiling mplayer with multi-core decoding support

okies, Linux still rule, don't get me wrong ... But let's be constructive and helpful... I managed to make it work flawlessly...
    It's Asus X56VA laptop, Core 2 Duo 2 GHz, 3 GB DDR2, ATI Radeon Mobility HD 3650. Ubuntu 11.04, installed proprietary video drivers regularily from menus...

Used ripps version of mplayer, CoreAVC decoder 2.5 in Wine... Here's my .mplayer/config file:
    Code:
    vo=gl   #vith xv I get occasional small but visible stuttering
    stop-xscreensaver=yes

#seems like coreavc codec is using 2 cores itself, when I put 2 or more, actually I get stuttering... Anybody can confirm?
    lavdopts=threads=1

vc=coreserve
    subcp=cp1250
    When I use any of the mplayer GUIs I get stuttering, tried several of them... But now I don't really see a need for using them because mplayer itself is pretty much powerful and fast when you learn keyboard commands....

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567